News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger 800 vs Steamer

Started by harre, September 03, 2011, 08:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harre

I went to a dealer in Uppsala (Sweden) recently and made this lineup for fun. Interesting to see how the bike has evolved.  I will not make the switch however, the Steamer is a classic IMHO. By the way, did you know that there are no tools supplied for the removal of the wheels on the 800?

jphish

Interesting evolution. Yeah - I did inventory of tools - asked: "wheres the hex tool for front wheel ?" Response: "Oh - not included - you have to buy one or just get a bolt / nut that fits".  sheesh - even my Uly came with a hex for wheel removal. Given that these are NOT "plug & play" (800XC) tubeless tires - serious oversight on triumphs part, that could be a real inconvenience.

JetdocX

And that's your #1 reason not to switch to the 800??????

I never got any tools with my Steamer either.  It's best to build your own tool kit anyhow.  It will never fit under the seat. :cry:

Wanna buy my steamer? :lol: Start a collection like Mustang has?
From parts unknown.

harre

The #1 reason for not buying the 800 is that I find the 1200 GS superior for my kind of riding, so when I have funds to upgrade that's the way to go. I find the lack of proper tools as a signal that the 800, like the Steamer, is not considered to take it's rider to remote parts of the globe, and even if you won't, I would like the engineers to have given this a second's thought. Would you drive a car that you could not remove the wheels on?

JetdocX

"There are no user-serviceable parts of this motorcycle.  Please return it to the nearest authorized BMW dealer for service."

Fictitious quote from the owner's manual. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

If you're planning a long trip to remote areas, relying on the toolkit under the seat is probably a mistake.   :roll:
From parts unknown.

ArcticTiger

Yes, you should keep your Steamer, Harre! It can be serviced/repaired with tools you can bring with you.
On a modern bike stuffed with all kinds of electronics your not able to service it unless you bring a diagnosis center. And for the GS you will need to bring a hydraulic press to service the rear wheel bearings...
-09 Triumph Tiger 1050 blazing orange
-98 Triumph Tiger 900 british racing green
-06 Ducati Multistrada 1000 S DS red
-99 Moto Guzzi EV 11 Cali. (Wi, USA)
-00 Yamaha TT600R
You are allowed to have only one wife, but you can ride as many bikes as you want...

D-Fuzz

Quote from: "harre"The #1 reason for not buying the 800 is that I find the 1200 GS superior for my kind of riding, so when I have funds to upgrade that's the way to go. I find the lack of proper tools as a signal that the 800, like the Steamer, is not considered to take it's rider to remote parts of the globe, and even if you won't, I would like the engineers to have given this a second's thought. Would you drive a car that you could not remove the wheels on?

I wouldn't consider driving a car around the world carrying only the tools the manufacturer gave me either.  I'd rather gather my own quality toolkit that use the cheap pressed-steel stuff most manufacturers provide anyway.  But I think you are correct in that Triumph did not make the 800 to hop on and travel around the world, right out of the box.  Not to say it couldn't, it just would take a bit of preparation, as with any bike, including a GS.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

harre

I was expecting the "bring you own toolkit" message was coming. This thread was not intended for discussing toolkits for globe traveling, such threads are plentiful and informative. Bottom line for me is that flat tyres are one of the most frequent failures of any vehicle and the cost for adding the necessary tools for removing wheels is low. I frequently ride with 1150 GS owner and I have never heard him complain about wheel removal. However, I also now that the 800 GS does not even have the necessary tools for adjusting the chain! I'm happy with my Steamer. One reason is that I can be much improved with some simple farkling. Another thing is that the engine is very impressive. Strong and responsive, and with low oil consumption (almost nil) and low fuel consumption (Keihin carbs). Put on a high windscreen and alu panniers and you're ready to go almost anywhere. I also have the Agri Supply toolbox and a good center stand and can remove the wheels at no time.

mcguy9

The 800 uses the Harley-Davidson approach to selling motorcycles. Nothing is included with the basic product.  Everything is an add on.  For a true adventure tourer, I think you have to spend at least $4000 beyond the MSRP for the base product to get a bike you can ride around the world. Just my two cents...
1996 Tiger 900 "Steamer" Black
www.midwestmotorcyclist.com

Bixxer Bob

The very reason I very nearly bought a MotoGuzzi NTX, you get all the farkles in the base price, nothing to add.

Glad I held on for the launch of 1200 Tiger though, I'm just waiting to see how much and how much extra the farkles are.... :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"The very reason I very nearly bought a MotoGuzzi NTX, you get all the farkles in the base price, nothing to add.

Glad I held on for the launch of 1200 Tiger though, I'm just waiting to see how much and how much extra the farkles are.... :roll:

Just like our man on here is on a lerning curve from carbs to fuel injection,there's another from chain to shaft drive,I'll make judgement when I've ridden a 1200,I've a K1200r sport that has the ability to put the rest of the world in slow mo,but over 200 miles it's nowhere as good as my old 955,and if their talking 1150 as in this weeks comic with a shaft drive that'll soak up the majority of the extra power.

Advwannabe

Well time to stir up the collective with some heresy...

A mate recently bought a Steamer. before he did he asked me to come and check it out with him. What a wonderful engine the 885 is! Very soulful through the airbox too. But overall the Girly has more grunt and is just as easy if not easier to chuck around.

Steamer still looks better though...

But the little beaker murders them both, XC or no. The only job my Girly does better is rolling down the highway two up and only then because of the Palmer screen and Corbin seat.
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "Advwannabe"But the little beaker murders them both, XC or no. The only job my Girly does better is rolling down the highway two up and only then because of the Palmer screen and Corbin seat.

I'd better not demo one then. Can't afford it and don't want to pine away.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.