News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Final Drive Ratio

Started by fly'nPirate, September 01, 2011, 04:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fly'nPirate

Newbie here so I'm sure the subject has been beat around before, but here goes. All opinions are weighed, but a blatant showing of your ignorance will attract the wolves! None the less, chime in...

I purchased the 2000 885i a few months ago and the final drive ratio is 19/48. I'm constantly looking for 7th gear. I rarely ride the bike off road (My KTM does that..) The gearing is very short and 70mph requires about 4700 rpm. Most of my riding is mountain twisties/switchbacks and of course connecting occasionally on Interstates.

I'm considering 19/45 but want your opinions as the cost of "testing" the best combo is prohibitive. I've read someone loving the 19/43 set-up but I don't want 3500 rpm to get out of the garage either. Whatcha think'n? Opinions?

Also, where are you guys finding the best prices for quality chains/sprockets in the US?
"Two Wings or Two Wheels, Just Haul Ass!"

Chris Canning

I had a couple of 885's before my 955,blimey it's a long time ago but I think the stock gearing was 18/46 and I went to a 19,but what isn't mentioned often the 885i redline at 8000 were as the 955 is 9500.

But that made top gear almost an over drive and it wouldn't respond all that well when you wanted warp drive  :roll:,so anything lower than that in top the motor will just fall on it's face.

Re cost of testing,engine sprockets are peanuts.

Kraftsman 73

Well, funny you should ask, just returned home after a test ride with new gearing on my 955i.  Changed from the stock gearing of 18/46 to 19/43.
YES, YES, YES!!!
I am riding a different, much better bike.  Yes, first gear is a bit tall.  But so is first gear on sport bikes.  And our bikes have more torque.  Sixth gear is great on the highway.  Bike feels much more relaxed, yet has power if needed.  If I need a lot of power, a quick shift into 5th and off I go.  I have much less mirror vibration with the tall gearing.  Getting rid of the cupped front tire will knock out more vibration.
I hated the stock gearing.  Bike is just revving its guts out at 80 mph.  Not so with this new gearing.  
If I need lower gearing for any off road, I will install the stock 18t drive sprocket.
To me, this was money and effort well spent.
In case you are considering this change, you will need a 36 mm socket for the drive sprocket retaining nut.  I have one courtesy of my first car, a 1964 Volkswagen.
Kraftsman 73

ChazzyB

Quote from: "Kraftsman 73"I hated the stock gearing.  Bike is just revving its guts out at 80 mph.  Not so with this new gearing.  

Krikey! I'm always staggered at the pull in top on my 955i and constantly try hooking another ratio, but given the red line on standard gearing equates to 143(ish) mph, I can't agree about revving its guts out at 80 - it's just in the middle of the sweet spot.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Kraftsman 73

Quote from: "ChazzyB"
Quote from: "Kraftsman 73"I hated the stock gearing.  Bike is just revving its guts out at 80 mph.  Not so with this new gearing.  

I always felt the stock gearing was too low.  That includes the new 1050 Tiger and the newest 800 Tiger that I rode at a local demo days.  The triples are really good engines with a very broad torque curve hindered with a close ratio transmission.  If I had the money I would have new gears made for 5th and 6th gear.  Yes I know what is involved in making gears, I am a Journeyman Machinist.
Yes, spinning the bike up to 5300 rpms at 80 mph is too high and just wasting the power.  Plus mirrors always went into a blur above 70 mph.  At first I believed it was the cupped front tire.  I have a new tire ready to be mounted.  But after the gearing change, with the engine running at lower rpms, mirrors are less blurry.  Tire should take care of the rest.  
No, 5200 rpms in my opinion is not the sweet spot.  Bike feels much more relaxed on the highway.  In fact with the new gearing I am not shifting as often.  
Remember, high revving sport bikes have a tall first gear and the engines don't have the same torque curve.
That is my impressions and I am DARM GLAD I made this change.  Bike is so much better with the new gearing.  Frankly bike feels faster because I am able to use the torque of the bike better instead of just revving the engine and rowing through the gears like a motocross bike.

Kraftsman 73

Question for Mr. Pirate.  
What seat is on your 955i?  I really need to replace the junk stocker.  Also what are you using for saddle bags?  I assume you have a Givi for the trunk.
That is a really clean bike you have.
I have had my bike for about a month.  Been making the necessary changes to make the bike run better and be more comfortable.
Good Luck

tigergotcha

Quote from: "Kraftsman 73"Well, funny you should ask, just returned home after a test ride with new gearing on my 955i.  Changed from the stock gearing of 18/46 to 19/43.

about your new 19/43:
did you remove any link from the chain?
RPM@80mph now?
what about mileage? far better, or just... drops?

Best would be to open the gearbox and replace 6th gear only in order to achieve more mileage and less vibes when riding for hours on higways  (70-90+ mph).

No aftermarket compatible gears available, or parts from other bikes?
Any ideas from gurus?

ciao from italy

metalguru

Have a look in here.

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

When I had my 885 I ran 19+44 gearing with no probs.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

AK Tiger

A definite +1 on the 19/43 for a 955.  I used this on my 2002 and now on my 2005.  I have covered almost 80K miles using this combo and I'm pretty happy with it.  Yes, I wish I could change the ratios in the transmission as I find the jump between 5th and 6th almost useless, but until I hit the lottery the final drive ratio change will have to do.
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger
2002 Tiger (Deceased - Killed by a suicidal caribou)

PeteH

Quote from: "fly'nPirate"I purchased the 2000 885i a few months ago and the final drive ratio is 19/48. I'm constantly looking for 7th gear.

I'm considering 19/45 but want your opinions as the cost of "testing" the best combo is prohibitive.

First off, I wont hijack the thread to go on about 955 ratios :wink:

I was running 18 - 49 but then changed to standard when a new chain was needed and I am still waiting to find the elusive seventh gear :oops: But looking back I think I prefer the 49 rear.
Messing about with different sprockets could get expensive as the chain may need links removing(or not) depending on which way you go.

Depends how you ride...but I like to keep it in the mid gears in twisties..keeping the revs high and relishing the sound of the triple

:D
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour