News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

noisey timing chain

Started by battybutler, September 05, 2011, 12:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

battybutler

can the timing chain and tenioner be replaced with out a full strip.and if worst case if breaks what damage as i think mines gone bang

Mustang

as long as nothings damaged in the engine , , you will be all right

new chain can go on as simple as removing a couple covers and pull the cams

battybutler

sorry missed out the engine stopped running,strip it down and found slipper rail in pieces braking the crank shaft senser,also it looks like the timing jumped to.

MtheTiger

Quoteand if worst case if breaks what damage

I read somewhere that if the tc breaks there will be no damage to pistons or valves or worse because these cannot touch another...... they should build all engines like this :D
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

battybutler

finished bike, rail had broken,no damage to head,found the timing chain was the cause of the problem,sorted out now the bike is a different machine i didn't know i was missing.

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "MtheTiger"
Quoteand if worst case if breaks what damage

I read somewhere that if the tc breaks there will be no damage to pistons or valves or worse because these cannot touch another...... they should build all engines like this :D

Are you saying Tigers are non-interference heads? IOW, if a piston is TDC and the valves are open the valves won't "punch" the piston?
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Colonel Nikolai

My 96 Sprint is at 45k. How much longer should I wait to do the timing chain?
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Mustang

tigger 2 is at 70 k on the original.......................mine is  not ready yet  :D

battybutler

with all the best no how in the world you can not predict how a engine will behave,mine was fine but after a 200 mile run all hell broke loose.prevention is better then cure.

MtheTiger

QuotePosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MtheTiger wrote:
Quote:
and if worst case if breaks what damage  

I read somewhere that if the tc breaks there will be no damage to pistons or valves or worse because these cannot touch another...... they should build all engines like this  

Are you saying Tigers are non-interference heads? IOW, if a piston is TDC and the valves are open the valves won't "punch" the piston?  

Yeah, that's what I read somewhere....dunno where it was.....well, it's easy to check when you're replacing the chain...
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue