News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Alternator Output Irregularities

Started by Ironhorse, November 18, 2011, 07:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironhorse

I checked my alternator/battery voltage and got some strange results. At fast idle when warming up, the battery shows 13+ volts and slowly gains. It does fluctuate steadily about a 10th of a volt but slowly climbs. When I switch the headlights to high beam it drops by about a half of a volt.

Here is the strange part. If I rev the engine, I see an immediate slow dropping in voltage. It goes from 13.8 or 13.9 and steadily drops clear down to 13 or even high 12's. When I return it to an idle it climbs back up to high 13's again.

I am suspecting the Regulator/ Rectifier but maybe it is the alternator. This is a new one to me.

The bike is an 2001 with 24,000 miles. Any ideas on this one? I checked the trouble shooting Sticky but it did not have this as a symptom.

Joe

Mustang

keep searching and reading there is a boatload of threads on 955 charging problems in the Girly forum . :shock:

But have a look at your plug connectors to and from the R/R............ :wink:

and do a search for Sasquatch fix , it may be what you need............. :D

Ironhorse

Believe me, I have 4 different threads open as I write. But no one so far has had a solution to the reverse voltage symptom. I am usually pretty good with electrical but this one makes no sense. Even if the connections are weak I would expect the voltages to rise with the rpm.

But I will keep reading and probably put a call into Rick's to see if they can weigh in. Thanks, Joe

Timbox2

But dont forget to have a look at the main fuse on the side of the battery box, and I mean a proper look, this has regularly given issues similar to yours
2016 Tiger Sport

Ironhorse

Thanks for all the advice. I went in and pulled the tank to get to the wiring harness. It looks like the P.O. used di-electric grease on all the connectors. I was very happy to see that. The connectors all looked fine. I ran the motor up and checked the output of the alternator and it checked good at 60 volts between all three legs. So it looks like I will be calling Rick's for a R/R. I will report the results when I get them. Do you guys think it would be wise to pull the stator and look for over heating? Or for that matter, would you order up a stator with the R/R and throw this one into spares?

Joe

oxnsox

If you can access a clamp meter I'd put that on the RR output and see what current it's putting out for the volt changes you're seeing.

It's entirely possible that the RR is dumping too much which is pulling the voltage down.

But hey if you've spoken with Ricks it seems they know their stuff so have probably given you a good heads up.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ironhorse

I finished up with the Sasquatch charging mod yesterday and amazingly the voltages and charging rates seem normal now. The battery voltages are actually 14.4 when reving to 4000 rpm. That is up about 1 volt. And I don't see any of the voltage drop when going from idle to higher revs. I am not sure how the mod actually corrected the drop but I am glad it did. I am going to watch it for a few days and see.

I also put a fuse block under the seat to add some electrical. I am looking for a good way to feed the block with about 30 amps of key-switched power. I found a 30 amp fuse in the stock fuse panel that was being used for the charging circuit. Since I have done the Sasquatch mod that is no longer being used. But I don't know if it was switched or not. My guess is it is not so I will check it today and see. Has anyone found a way to get a switched feed for accessories?

I know, the search function is our friend.   Joe

Mustang

relay that turns on from the taillight when key is switched on

search button turned up your answer in like 2 seconds , .............

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/viewto ... fuse+block