News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New Owner Observations

Started by Rapier, September 27, 2011, 03:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rapier

First and foremost someone out there is a total git.
My bike came with a knock-off / cheaper version of a powerlet port. Looking at the construction of the port and the quality of the components I decide to replace it with a powerlet.
The good : it was not put in with any securing for the wires easy to remove. The Bad: 30 year old wiring, keeping in mind the bike is a 1996 (my Dad was impressed by the brittleness of the wires). The Ugly: the "installer" thinks that over tightening the nut into the plastic was a good way to keep it secure. Combining the crud, cheap components and installation method, I am real happy I did not need to cut the pieces out...
Powerlet in, and showing 12.4V Woo Hoo!

The ride in this morning to work was... weird.
This was my first ride after all the little things were addressed. Oil Change, getting replacement fasteners (and putting them in the right holes... don't ask), soldiering loose connections, coolant level topped off, putting the latching pin the right way around on the Corbin. Ya know the usual used bike issues.
Perfect London weather (keeping in mind I am on the other side of the Pond) 70 degrees (21 over there), cloudy, steady mist with occasional harder rain; perfect day for the 25 mile (40 km) ride to work.
Not sure if was the initial Seafoam I added 2 tanks ago, or the fact the bike is garaged; but I found out that if I have the choke out more that 1/4 for more than 1 min (literally 1 min) I get smoke from the exhaust. Very happy she starts so nice now. Sounds like a dream (if you happen to like tractors), pulls great, likes to be kept around 4500 RPMs in the Twisties and around 5200 on the slab (85 on the spedo ~ should have been about 80 according to the GPS compare on the 3 hour ride home the other week). Corbin seat is adjusted better now, removed the rubbers from the pegs and adjusted brake and shiftier lever to their lowest, this feels pretty good. Handlebars may need risers ~ undecided as of yet. Thinking a windscreen that has just a slight flip will put the wind right where I want it to go ( http://global.ebay.com/Triumph-Tiger-90 ... 36096/item ) I am 6'1 and like the naked wind effects overall (always have) but this gets me right in the middle of the visor; may hit Home Depot and go for the CBOA solution for now. As expected my ability to see is great, and the overall cager visibility of the bike seems better than the CS (still going to upgrade the lights). The suspension creates an interesting effect: the bike feels planted nicely regardless of slab vs twisties and has a soft cushy feel over bumps; it is like riding on a cat who needs their nails trimmed running over Berber carpet with a saddle made of marshmallows.

Love the ride!
~Jeff~
2005 F650 CS
1996 Triumph Tiger
NC - USA

Mustang

Quote from: "Rapier"Not sure if was the initial Seafoam I added 2 tanks ago, or the fact the bike is garaged; but I found out that if I have the choke out more that 1/4 for more than 1 min (literally 1 min) I get smoke from the exhaust.
they all do that ,typical t409

QuoteVery happy she starts so nice now. Sounds like a dream (if you happen to like tractors), pulls great, likes to be kept around 4500 RPMs in the Twisties and around 5200 on the slab (85 on the spedo ~ should have been about 80 according to the GPS compare on the 3 hour ride home the other week).
the engine has more of a Mercedes diesel truck sound than tractor..........California Highway Patrol calibrated my speedo at 85 for me and the nice officer confirmed that my gps was lyin and the speedo was spot on

QuoteThinking a windscreen that has just a slight flip will put the wind right where I want it to go ( http://global.ebay.com/Triumph-Tiger-90 ... 36096/item ) I am 6'1 and like the naked wind effects overall (always have) but this gets me right in the middle of the visor; may hit Home Depot and go for the CBOA solution for now.
Powerbronze works pisser for me

http://superbikestore.com/tiger_1992_1997.htm

QuoteThe suspension creates an interesting effect: the bike feels planted nicely regardless of slab vs twisties and has a soft cushy feel over bumps; it is like riding on a cat who needs their nails trimmed running over Berber carpet with a saddle made of marshmallows.

Love the ride!
typical Kayaba suspenders ........it sounds like you got a good one .