News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Is this one of the later Tiger 955 engines

Started by Tigertriple, September 27, 2011, 01:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tigertriple

I am trying to find out if the engine in my 06 Tiger is one of the later ones.  Am I correct in thinking that the 1050 has the same crankcases as my 955.

The reason that I'm asking is because I have seen an 07 955 with the same engine casings as an 04 which looks different with three bolts in the right hand engine casing. Unlike mine which has no bolts in the centre. I hope this makes some sense.  :D

2006, 955 Tiger Caspian blue with lot\'s of juicy extras

NKL

Yep, yours is the same model as mine, an 06 (except mine was registered in july 05) it has the 1050 cases. I would say the 07 one is an earlier model found laying around or its a ringer.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Tigertriple

Quote from: "NKL"Yep, yours is the same model as mine, an 06 (except mine was registered in july 05) it has the 1050 cases. I would say the 07 one is an earlier model found laying around or its a ringer.

Thanks for your reply and help. Here is the link to the 07 that's advertised on eBay that I'm referring to.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320765352132? ... _500wt_922

Bakerboy

Quote from: "Tigertriple"I am trying to find out if the engine in my 06 Tiger is one of the later ones.  Am I correct in thinking that the 1050 has the same crankcases as my 955.

The reason that I'm asking is because I have seen an 07 955 with the same engine casings as an 04 which looks different with three bolts in the right hand engine casing. Unlike mine which has no bolts in the centre. I hope this makes some sense.  :D

your bike is to clean,keep it nice for when i come knocking on your door!!!

tigergotcha

same model as mine - a 2006 - it's the latest 955 assembled in Hinckley.
there are differences in front suspensions too - they say fork is better but I cannot judge it - never rode a different make 955! ;-)

Chris Canning

The main difference is when Triumph took the water outlet from the side to the back of the block,the latter bikes have 1050 case's which doesn't mean a lot,as the 1050 has a different gearbox.

walker

Here is a list of changes over the 2005 model.
    * New cylinder head and crankcases with revised cooling hose routing for a visually tidier engine
    * Backlash eliminator gear for reduced noise and vibration
    * Revised gear change internals
"However, the latest 2006 version of the 955cc motor boasts a new cylinder head and is now fitted with the same high-pressure diecast crankcases as the new 1050cc engine used in the Sprint ST and Speed Triple, with the previous rather messy-looking and very evident external plumbing and copious pipework, now tucked away behind the engine in pursuit of a cleaner appearance.

So, while the horizontally-split new crankcases still house a four-bearing nitrided 120-degree crankshaft, fitted with cast pistons giving 11.65:1 compression, and twin overhead camshafts chain-driven as before up the right side of the engine, the all-new cylinder head features revised porting and altered combustion chambers delivering a more efficient package."

(that's from the writeup here: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadt ... z1ZFsDrSIu )

Tigertriple

Thanks to all who posted a reply. Lots of good info.