News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Dreaded alternator rattle

Started by birdman, October 09, 2011, 03:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdman

Using the screwdriver as a stethascope method I've tracked down a pretty good rattle when the motor is good and warm to the altenator .Also I notice a buzzy vibration when accelerating through 2500 to 3500 rpm . My question, is  it normaly needed to pull the clutch etc or can this be retightened from the altenator side by locking the drive vane .Thanks for any help   :?:
What doesn\'t kill you only makes you stronger

Mustang

what you are hearing on the rattle is probably the drive vane on the alternator side rattling on the splines of the shaft and no amount of tightening is going to fix it .................pull the alternator and have a look see , you can sometimes quiet down the rattle by using a bearing retainer compound that loctite sells t fill the voids between the splines of the shaft and the drive vane hub .

or you have a broken bolt that holds the drive hub on , but you still need to use some kind of filler on the splines cuz they rattle no matter how tight you make the bolt .

pull the alternator , easy 3 bolts , all will be obvious................

Bixxer Bob

Putting this one on the list, I haven't had time to touch the Tiger for weeks now, but was worried I had tensioner probs but my rattle is similar to this.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

birdman

Bob where can I get one of those meters .I will need one for work that reads real high  . Thanks for the help Gents
What doesn\'t kill you only makes you stronger

Bixxer Bob

:ImaPoser

If you look closely you'll notice it reads a lot less than zero, as in "I could care less"....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

PeteH

Quote from: "birdman"Also I notice a buzzy vibration when accelerating through 2500 to 3500 rpm .

I hav`nt been able to dial that problem out :oops:  Its mildly iriatating but I  just drive through it.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour