News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

alternator rewind

Started by swhite, October 19, 2011, 09:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swhite

I was wondering if anyone has had their tiger alternator rewind in order to get more output?

metalguru

Use the SEARCH button it is wonderful for finding info.

If my addled memory serves correctly, there is not enough space inside the alternator case to accommodate the extra windings required for more output.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

nightrunner

And be very careful if you decide to experiment.  I was quoted over $800 for new one at the dealer and that was 10 years ago.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

chairhead

Quote from: "swhite"I was wondering if anyone has had their tiger alternator rewind in order to get more output?

I just had mine rewound by a guy in Devon and all for the princely sum of

£45 including return postage,

i dont know if you are in the UK but if you are then pm me and i can give

you his details,

posted to him monday,got it back Friday,services like this are few and far

between
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

97tiger885

Quote from: "chairhead"
Quote from: "swhite"I was wondering if anyone has had their tiger alternator rewind in order to get more output?

I just had mine rewound by a guy in Devon and all for the princely sum of

£45 including return postage,

What is the wattage that the rewound alternator is putting out?

++++++++++
Jon

TripleTragic

Much easier solution is to replace trhe alternator with one from a later model Trophy/sprint. 40A and (almost) straight bolt in.  I have athread about it round here somewhere.
Good things come in Threes

97tiger885

Quote from: "TripleTragic"Much easier solution is to replace trhe alternator with one from a later model Trophy/sprint. 40A and (almost) straight bolt in.  I have athread about it round here somewhere.

Here is the relevant portion of the thread.  I found it by doing an author search.

Quote from: "TripleTragic"Yes they do require a little gentle persuasion to fit. This is the second one I have done but have basically copied the idea from the guys that worked it out on the Triumphrat forum. Thread here:
http://www.triumphrat.net/t3-sport-tour ... nator.html

The short story for the wiring is to cut the original plug off,
blank off/tape up the white wire,
extend the brown wire so it fits on the IG blade post of the new alternator (the other blade post it unsed),
Make up a ~6guage wire with a 40A in line fuse which runs from the post on the Alt straight to the battery.

To get the new unit to fit you need longer bolts but the biggest thing is that the top right bolt will not fit in perfectly and you either need to drill out the hole in the engine case (as D'Charlie on the Triumphrat forum did) or the hole on the alternator (which I have done for both times I have done it).

Oh, and you also need to file off a little on one side of the alternator to allow the whole thing to rotate around an extra mm or so.

The link above provides much more detail from D'Charlie's development of the idea and my own first fitting. Happy to help out more if needed.

I am not sure I consider that an easier solution for those of us who have less than stellar skills with drilling and wiring, but it is good to know there is another option.