News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Noticed a coolant leak today

Started by mtrdrms, October 27, 2011, 07:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtrdrms

So I have been riding alot it the colder weather lately (30-40f) and while I was examining the left side of my engine contemplating the breather seal being the reason for my oil loss issue, I noticed that there is evidence of coolant leaking from the headgasket.  On the left side and the rear of the cylinders.  Enough to leave a drip line down the engine.  Would this automatically mean a headgasket replacement?  Is there another option?  Would air tempature have anything do with this?

Andy
1999 Tiger (approx 53k miles)

"To reject the part of the buddha that attends to the analysis of motorcycles is to miss the buddha entirely."
-Robert Pirsig

Mustang

the early girlies
are known for leaky heads in cold weather
you can try re torquing the head bolts , or as others have done you can live with the leak until warmer weather , but if you are anal about things like this , like myself , I fear a head gasket is in your future

ChazzyB

Before you get too worried, check the leak's not coming from the coolant temperature sensor on the theromostat housing. Mine was. New O-ring and now no leak.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

PeteH

Quote from: "mtrdrms"I noticed that there is evidence of coolant leaking from the headgasket.  On the left side and the rear of the cylinders.  Enough to leave a drip line down the engine.  Would this automatically mean a headgasket replacement?

Been there and got the Tshirt :)  I lived with it for a couple of years...tho it only happened during the winter months when the temp dropped...purely an outward leak but still worrying, got the head gasket changed when it had its 28k service,been fine since.
Now it just leaks from the pump housing when things drop, but I can live with it :wink:
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour