News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1050 into a 2006 Tiger

Started by AK Tiger, October 29, 2011, 03:26:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AK Tiger

Hi Folks,

1)  Does anyone know if a 1050 engine will physically fit and bolt up into a 2006 chassis?  
2)  If so, will the 1050 engine's sensors mate up with the 955 sensor connectors?  
3)  If so, can the 955 engine management computer be reflashed to account for the additional displacement?  

Thank you for any help you are able to give me.
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger
2002 Tiger (Deceased - Killed by a suicidal caribou)

Chris Canning

This question had cropped several times and I've always had an interest myself BUT,it'll be a complete heart and lung transplant,the 1050 injection is different and your going to be opening a whole bag of worms trying match bits of both,you'll need ecu and wiring loom,how that matchs with the clocks etc??? :? ,and probably more important does the 955 tank fit over the 1050 airbox??

AK Tiger

Yeah those were some of my concerns.  I really don't need any additional power but it seems easier to find a 1050 than a 955 Tiger motor.  I was just kinda hoping that it was a bolt in swap.  Guess not.  Bummer.   :(
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger
2002 Tiger (Deceased - Killed by a suicidal caribou)

cosmo

I don't see why you couldn't simply use the 955 airbox (K&N should take care of flow issues, if any), higher flow injectors (same time via ECU, but more fuel for that time, takes care of fuel) and just swop sensors.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chris Canning

955 used the French Sagem injection system, the 1050 uses a totally different set up with Japanese Keihin.

Mustang

by the time you bought enough parts to make the swap doable you could have just bought a decent used 1050 far cheaper

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "Mustang"by the time you bought enough parts to make the swap doable you could have just bought a decent used 1050 far cheaper

Yup but then he'd have too look at it  :lol:

Perhaps starting a thread "can Girly plastics be fitted to a Roadie"   :wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

NeilD

although dont the last of the 955i's have 1050 blocks with 955 heads? so i guess if you swap the head and associated gubbins over then that would physically fit, 'just' need a different map?? ... or have I just said something stupid out loud  :D

edit... no, thinkign about it the actual 1050 motor must be a different bore or stroke, so I guess the 955 head wont fit?

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Mustang"by the time you bought enough parts to make the swap doable you could have just bought a decent used 1050 far cheaper

In theory quite correct, but the reality, the demand for stuff like a 1050 motor and the bits and bobs is close to zero with prices to match,I knew of a complete bike,well it was!!! but in bits  :roll: ,and to be honest thought my 955 is going well and I'll only do a swap if I have to.

amschnellsten

It is doable but it would be best to probably swap everything over. If you found a 1050 donor bike that would be the easiest. Does anyone know if the mounts will line up?

walker

Quote from: "NeilD"although dont the last of the 955i's have 1050 blocks with 955 heads? so i guess if you swap the head and associated gubbins over then that would physically fit, 'just' need a different map?? ... or have I just said something stupid out loud  :D

edit... no, thinkign about it the actual 1050 motor must be a different bore or stroke, so I guess the 955 head wont fit?

They had the 1050 engine cases, and the 1050 head as well (it's not the same as the 955i motor). displacement was still the 955 number.

Transmission is different than a 1050, and is changed over the 2005 model 955 (anti backlash gears? not sure what else).

rcgomes

this only works for 2 people: a mechanic who knows how to put it together well, without spending much.Or the owner of a bike with a broken heart and willing to spend more $ $ $ to bring it back. If it was me, since I'm not mechanical, i think the tiger 1050, although just like the engine in this bike,  because instead of buying the tiger 1050, i preferred to jump to the street triple. if you make aloot of offroad, go save the 955, and  search engine in the net, or go to triumph manufature,  may have luck. because the engine 955 is the tiger of war, very reliable, and well regarded internationally