News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel hoses

Started by LTB, November 06, 2011, 05:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTB

OK
Tomorrow I'm changing to the third brand of fuel hoses in two years.
They crack up and start to leak. This time I've bought hoses that are used for outboard engines. They are intended to be used outside in the weather and sun so I hope they'll last a bit longer...

Has anyone else had problems with theese hoses?
/Thomas

Triumph Tiger 955i -01 Roulette Green

"There\'s no off position on the genious switch"

Chris Canning

In 10 years of owning a 955 and 3 Yahoo sites, this and the rat I've never seen a posting about the pipes,always been the connectors.

iansoady

No problems with mine either. The sun doesn't even get to them so I can't see how that's a problem.

They do need to be the correct nitrile construction though.

If this was a classic bike forum everybody'd be grumbling about ethanol.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

blacktiger

Quote from: "LTB"OK
Tomorrow I'm changing to the third brand of fuel hoses in two years.
They crack up and start to leak. This time I've bought hoses that are used for outboard engines. They are intended to be used outside in the weather and sun so I hope they'll last a bit longer...

Has anyone else had problems with theese hoses?

Nope. Still on the OE hoses after 9 years and 65000 miles.

What fuel do you use? Is it special winter fuel with some weird additive?
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

LTB

The only weird thing is 5% alcohol. Nothing else.

The cracking rubber on the hoses started on the outside, not the inside.
I think it's a weather, sunshine and envrionment thing.
Last hose was a quality Semperit fuel hose and after a year it leaks all over from cracks. The same happned to the previous one. Don't remember the brand.
I hope the outboard engine hose is better. It's at least designed to be outside and be bent back and forth when in use.
/Thomas

Triumph Tiger 955i -01 Roulette Green

"There\'s no off position on the genious switch"

Timbox2

Quote from: "LTB"The only weird thing is 5% alcohol. Nothing else.

The cracking rubber on the hoses started on the outside, not the inside.
I think it's a weather, sunshine and envrionment thing.
Last hose was a quality Semperit fuel hose and after a year it leaks all over from cracks. The same happned to the previous one. Don't remember the brand.
I hope the outboard engine hose is better. It's at least designed to be outside and be bent back and forth when in use.

Sun?? How does the sun get to your fuel hoses? They were totally hidden  on my Girly and every other one as far as Im aware
2016 Tiger Sport

Loops

Sorry to spoil the party.

At about 50k one of my hoses split on the flow side just next to the quick coupler.

Middle of France with a boot rapidly filling with fuel isn't recommended.

Still all I did was chop an inch off the pipe, reattached the coupler and hey presto it's been fine ever since.

Dunno why it failed - maybe the hose was bent a bit too tight??

No harm in checking for cracks though.

Cheers

Loops
The more I drive the more I love my Tiger

1999 efi Tiger Yellow ~ 86k miles
2012 HD Electra Glide Classic ~ 40k miles
and Her 250 Rebel ~ 5k miles (and only did 16 miles last year!!)

eLo

I've done 145' kms on my -99, never had any probs with the hoses. My guess would be the alcohol (even if I can't see exactly why...)