News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

955i & 885i exhaust

Started by pablo4953, November 09, 2011, 12:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pablo4953

Greetings..........please forgive my ignorance, but I've never owned a Triumph, and still have a lot to learn. I have the opportunity to purchase a 2000 Tiger, the PO was running it without a silencer, or the collector box, and even cut an inch off the header pipe. (I have no idea why)

I have no interest in running it this way, so I need to replace the header pipe (or have it welded, not my first choice). The problem is I have not been able to find one for this model Tiger. I have located several 955i pipes though.

My question...........would the Tiger 955i header work on the 885i engine? Or can anyone offer any suggestions how I could make the determination without actually trying it? The bike is a little rough, but it's a smokin deal. The pipe issue is my only hesitation.

Thanks for your help

KuzzinKenny

Hey pablo4953 !! Accordin to ...........

http://www.bikebandit.com/    select OEM parts !! make/model/year

a great parts checker ( not Triumph No's tho )

it's a no  :(  

has the bike been run like this for a while ?? without the exhaust system the fueling would be all over the place !!

KK

ps check this out.........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-TRIUMPH-TI ... es&vxp=mtr

not sure if it's the right one but might be worth an email to them  :wink:
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

pablo4953

KK thanks a lot for the reply, especially the ebay reference. I think I need to take a closer look at the pipe that is currently on the bike, and compare to the pictures on ebay. That would probably eliminate some of what I've been looking at.

I did find another pipe in Bristol from a 1999, which seems like it would work, since 99 & 00 were the only two 885i engines. At least I have more to go on than I did. Thanks a bunch!

I am not sure how long the bike has been run with the chopped exhaust. Logically, I would think it would have a big time negative affect on the mapping, but surprisingly enough it seems to run pretty strong. Of course I don't have any basis for comparison. Regardless, if I buy it, I'll make it right. The pipe is the first step in doing so.

Pablo

Chris Canning

Having had a couple of 885i's and a 955 I can tell you the headers are diffrent,but the silencer is the same despite Triumph having two different part numbers for the silencer

The problem you will find with the 885 headers,when you fit them on the bike you will still need either the square collector box(stock) or when people bought the aftermarket Triumph pipe is came with a straight through bypass pipe that did away with the collector box,were as the 955 has a long pipe on the headers.

Bixxer Bob

Given your location Pablo, I'd say 955 exhaust with its long pipeand get a welder fit it to your headers but Chris will probably come back on that idea :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Hmmm don't know,certainley not sure if the barrels are the same and if the pipes could be fitted.

Among the many things I had replaced under warranty on my 885i were the headers for the simple reason the bash plate on the headers was welded on mine dropped off on a motorway in the South of France,as have many others I spoke too and there was an upgrade!!

You still see 885i headers on ebay forsale normally with a 955 tag on you can tell by the shape of the quirky bash plate,make sure it has one as they are one piece,were as on the 955 you can take it off.

Even if you can find a set of 885 headers you will still need the aftermarket connector pipe or original square collector box,the original contract for making the pipes for Triumph was with Motad in Walsall UK try them for the connector pipe.

KuzzinKenny

Hey pablo4953 !! have ya checked this...............

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,10139

worth an email (pm )  :wink:

good luck !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

deepsouthtiger

Not sure if you need it, but I have a stock silencer that can be had........lets say VERY affordably.
 :D
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits