News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Engine out???

Started by Champy, November 17, 2011, 07:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Champy

Very interesting.
I haven't dropped this Tiger since I bought it, but of course you never know what happened in it's previous life... May have been wheelied, dropped whatever.

I did drop my 03 Lucifer Tiger and actually bent the gear lever, but never had an issue with the gearbox.

A mate dropped his Legend 885 carb and actually broke the gear lever shaft. Spent the rest of it's life with a lever welded onto the shaft!!!

Also interesting to note that when the guy stripped his engine, he left the clutch and drive chain in place???
You need to scare yourself at least once a day.

metalguru

Looking at the stripdown pics he did eventually strip it all out, splitting the cases is a straight forward job and fully explained in the manual, it does all depend on what the problem is in yours although it doesn't sound as extreme and could be salvaged. It is a balancing act between installing another engine or stripping and repairing existing. The trouble with only stripping the lower case is if something has let go then how can one be certain that all reminants have been removed as they will travel and the inside of the engine has to be really clean on assembly. When ever I build an engine the cleaning and building areas are completly remote from each other, so in conclusion although removing the lower case only will reveal the cause (or not) the engine will need a total stripdown if only to ensure compliance of cleaning.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Champy

Well. Finally fixed the Tigs gearbox! :D
Thankfully a mate let me use his workshop and hydraulic ramp, otherwise it would have been a nightmare job.

Everything came apart quite well, and I found 7 gear teeth along with other detritus in the sump! Following engine removal, I was very careful nit to invert the engine completely, and found that by keeping it at an angle, I could remove the 2 gear assemblies and sure enough, the 5th gears had lost.....7 teeth! :(

Checked and cleaned underside of engine to make sure nothing else could be lurking around before dropping in the 2 gear assemblies already purchased 2nd hand from a 2005 Tiger.

Re-assembly took about as long as dis-assembly, and I managed to break one of the lugs on the inner clutch basket whilst tightening the centre nut!!!
Could have fixed it with tapping a thread and using a CSunk bolt, but decided to get another 2nd hand clutch (£50) instead. :x

On start up, found I had forgotten 2 things: refitting the lambda sensor unit, and forgetting to re-connect the throttle position sensor plug! It ran very noisily and wouldn't rev! :roll:

That said, it now runs beautifully - smooth and back to normal gear changes. Oddly, steering feels very light and 'wandering' at low speed.

So, if anyone needs some good clutch plates, gear change shaft or gear selector shaft, I have them available!!!

Thanks everyone for all help, assistance and advice. Really appreciated. :wink:

Ian
You need to scare yourself at least once a day.

metalguru

Great to hear you are back on the road, lets hope it stays that way.
Weather is good for this time of year, good excuse for some more testing miles!  :D
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.