News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

fuel odor in oil

Started by deepsouthtiger, January 01, 2012, 01:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deepsouthtiger

O.K.  I have searched and didn't find. Maybe some background.
 My Tiger "laid down" at literally ZERO speed.......parked and then it rained, kick stand "sunk" and it was found next morning "napping" on its side.
 Changed oil. I am now on the second oil change since the "incident" and I still detect the smell of fuel in the oil.
The oil is not overly thin and I see no bubbles or indication of fuel other than odor.....and its not STRONG by any means.  But it is noticeable.

I have had the bike serviced at 18,000 miles (overdue 12,000 miles service...forgive me) and double checked by the shop (not a Triumph shop but a "nondenominational" local shop with a good rep.) that the smell was "normal".  I was assured the bike was fine........and I had them check it twice, the owner even picked the bike up with a trailer when I complained of the oil smell.......good guys really.
 I just changed the oil again today at 21,042 miles.......and I can smell it.

The oil level does not increase, and I have never overfilled it.

If anything it burns more oil than I feel it should compaired to my '02 Speed 3 or other  bikes I've owned.

AM I just being overly concerned? Could it just be residual odor from the tip over?

Any insight would be helpful and much appreciated.
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits

Mustang

is your gas mileage the same as always ? or worse ?

if it was a carbed bike I would say check the floats / needle valve

on an injected bike I can't understand how fuel would have gotten into the oil just from falling over  :?:

deepsouthtiger

Mileage appears to be about the same.  Hard for me to truly gauge as I have a heavy wrist and love the torque on these Tiggers.  :D

Which as we all know affects mileage.  But roughly the same.  And the bike runs, well just fine, as it always has. No issues, no smoke from the exhaust, nothing out of "sorts".
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits

Chad

i dont think you have anything to worry about and if the service guys happy everything seems normal just keep riding and enjoying

keep an eye on the state and levels of oil and if it stays the same happy days :D
Despacio. Hay m\'as tiempo que vida

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Mustang"is your gas mileage the same as always ? or worse ?

if it was a carbed bike I would say check the floats / needle valve

on an injected bike I can't understand how fuel would have gotten into the oil just from falling over  :?:

Only way is a leaky injector. Pressure in the fuel rail will force fuel slowly past a slightly leaky injector until pressure drops. Then it seeps by the valve,  runs down the cylinder past the piston and rings into the oil.  Very rare occurence though I think, only ever seen it once.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

+1 more common on diesels. Might be worth running some 'injector cleaner' through the system though personally I feel most of those sold are snake oil.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

I meant the dying pressure in the fuel rail after the engine is stopped. Obviously :oops:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

I knew what you meant :wink:

An indication of a fluffy injector is taking a few turns to start,, not so obvious with the electric pump.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

As I said, not come across any but one with a slight leak but know of one that let go big time.  Subsequent hydraulic lock totalled the engine.