News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

drama continues

Started by pinner, December 24, 2011, 02:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinner

So after several issues with my  '95(53K) and a new to me motor, ( 15K and garunteed ) I continue to face issues.  
My mechanic put the new motor in  fired it up, and it was putting coolant in the crankcase.  We sent the motor back to the seller who corrected the problem.  They state it was poor seals at the cylider sleeve.  He has since put the motor back in the bike and  states it runs well.  Now he says there is a small leak at the head gasket in the front left corner.  He says he has done some research and found that a common factory defect is the cylinder sleeves are too tall for the head to get a good seal.
Sounds suspicious to me.  Someone tell me what I already think I know.

This is becoming the repair from hell.
He has had my bike for months and it seems to be never ending issues.
I have about $1800 into the repair/replacement  at this point.

Hey at least its winter and liitle riding to be had.... right?.... right?
"The path to righteousness and wisdom is as narrow and difficult to walk as the razor\'s edge."

rf9rider

Not another head problem?

Is it a 97 your having problems with?

pinner

Its a 95.
The head doesnt seem to be the problem.  Althought maybe it is.  My mechanic said the seller checked the head for warping anddsaid all was good.
My question to everyone is are the steamer motors known to have cylinder sleeve clearance issues  that prevent a good head gasket seal from the factory?
Sounds like BS to me

I only know my bike and what I have read here.  I dont recall threads dealing with this issue. Seems to  be more due to the PO messing with the cylinder sleeve in an effort to fix to poor seals.

Im looking for some insight.  I know there is a tone out there.  Bottom line is I don plan on ccepting a motor with an oil leak on a "gauranteed" motor.
"The path to righteousness and wisdom is as narrow and difficult to walk as the razor\'s edge."

Mustang

if the head has been removed .............the cylinder liners have been disturbed and will need to be resealed with HYLOMAR from your triumph dealer or bike bandit . it's the only thing that will work to seal the cylinder bases in the engine block at the bottom of the water pan

JetdocX

The auto parts store has blue Hylomar, FYI.  No need to pay more and wait more.
From parts unknown.

pinner

apparently that what was leaking the first time they put the new motor in.  The PO took it back and sealed the sleeves.
Now the issue is an oil leak at the head gasket.  If the motor did not leak oil there prior, how is it that they think it leaks now because the sleeve stands proud of the case?

Still looking for some feedback about their claim that this was a common "factory" issue.

Thanks for the info.
Kevin

Mustang

it aint ....they probably tried to reuse the head gasket and save 60 bucks  :shock:

rf9rider

Was the bike taken back for a re-torque of the head bolts?

pinner

Happy New year all.  I was a way for a few days hunting.  
The re used head gasket sounds like a real possibility.  I will follow up on that.

Not sure if he re torqued the head bolts.  He says that if there was a head cover bolt closer to the corner of the head it wouldnt leak.
 haha.
Thats an amazing statement isnt it?
 Anyway.  I left it with him to work out with the seller of the motor. I just told him I wouldnt accept aq re done motor that leaks anything!

Thanks for the feedback.
Cheers, Kevin

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "pinner"Happy New year all.  I was a way for a few days hunting.  
The re used head gasket sounds like a real possibility.  I will follow up on that.

Not sure if he re torqued the head bolts.  He says that if there was a head cover bolt closer to the corner of the head it wouldnt leak.
 haha.
Thats an amazing statement isnt it?
 Anyway.  I left it with him to work out with the seller of the motor. I just told him I wouldnt accept aq re done motor that leaks anything!

Thanks for the feedback.
Cheers, Kevin

That is an amazing statement. If you have an engine apart like that, it's just not worth risking such a leak by reusing the head gasket. I've been there and the temptation is real, but even when I misaligned a cam gear and had to open it up again, I put a set of brand new (this was a v-twin) head gaskets on it.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.