News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

The more I ride it...

Started by NeilD, January 10, 2012, 05:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mick

Neil and Sin, as current and former Steamer owners, how does the XC/800 compare, on well, everything really ? I'm looking for less weight and more power, also what's the two up with luggage capability like ?
Sin, how does the XC stack up against the Roadie and for that matter the Roadie vs the Steamer ?
97 Steamer, Caspian Blue.
Girly wheels, Venom Exhausts, Corbin Seat,
Powerbronze Touring Screen, Triumph span adjustable levers.

Sin_Tiger

Will be a few Weeks before I can tel, in a box somewhere in Felixstowe.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

NeilD

have to say Big Mick, the original post in this thread still rings true.. the more i ride it etc etc..

all i can say is that it works for me.  I've not tried it with pillion and boxes etc, this weekend away was just with a roll bag, and one plus point is that this seemed easier to strap on than on the previous bikes. I've bought ventura luggage but need to get a bigger bag to make it useful. As i mentuioned on the other thread, i need to have a look at the preload before another trip as the front end was a bit light with just one roll bag on it .. however in its defence i've not touched the suspension settings so i dont know how its been set up..

The trip i did this weekend was pretty much the same as i did on the Steamer when i had it.. i sat on the motorway bits  at a steady 85, which is what i'd have done on the steamer... it was cold but not raining - if it had been then i think the older bike wouldve given more protection BUT i've taken the screen off of my 800 as i dont really get on with blade type screens.. there are plenty of options for screens out there and most have found something to suit.

I found the seat comfy enough, especially considering youre looking for fuel at about 150 miles..  thats one thing where the steamer definately scores as although it was only doing 47-ish mpg (it was a mikuni carb bike) the larger tank meant i could easily get from my house to scotch corner in one hit (180 mile)..  and talking of MPG, i normally get between 45-50 mpg, which i still think is slightly poor for a lighter more hi tech bike.. again others experiences differ so i dont know if it me or the bike that has the 'problem'   :D

power/weight.. well it was the ease of use that sold it to me in the end. its lighter and lower than either of the other 2. At first i missed that sudden whoosh that tyou seem to get with the older carb engines and the 955, and if i get back on the tiger after riding my t/bird sport then again i notice it.. however the 800 'just' has power all through the rev range, with a slight step up at around 6500 revs... so definately not 'worse' just different.

one thing ive found, being a bit of a luddite, is that the FI seems to be set up well straight out of the box (after a couple of updates from triumph).. On the 800 forum is that nobody really seems to be tinkering with laptops creating new maps, which is a good sign.

the jury is still out on longterm durability.. there have been issues with peeling paint and rusty spokes, however it seems to be a bit hit and miss as some bikes which get used everyday have  been ok, and bikes stored for the winter have come out of the shed a bit crusty? dunno, mine seems ok so far. It does appear to be built down to a price in ways, which again is ok as the OTR price is about the same as a Steamer was nearly 20 years ago, so cheaper in real terms. it just shows up in things like the lack of protection for the rear shock, and some of the plastic bits are a bit 'plastic'...  

dont know if that helps mick... all i can say is find a dealer who'll let you have a decent testride. I dont think they have the character or 'presence' of the older bikes, but to be honest I bought it really as something to 'use' so that can spend my spanner twirling time on my old bikes.  

Neil

Big Mick

Thanks Neil, great comparison, I guess on the strength of that, I am going to have to get a test ride, hate that my local dealer expects an £800 deposit just for the privelege though !
97 Steamer, Caspian Blue.
Girly wheels, Venom Exhausts, Corbin Seat,
Powerbronze Touring Screen, Triumph span adjustable levers.

NeilD

'new shoes' today for Orville  :D

went for the Michellin PR3 'trail'.. theres nothing 'trail' about them apart from the fact the front is available in 19"

quick 80 miles tonight to bed them in - initial results very good.. feels smoother and more steady in the corners... they're dual compound with more of the slightly harder compound than the standard PR3.. not sure if its an optical illusion but they look slightly 'squarer' than normal road tyres?
be nice if they do last longer - the original Scorpion on the rear had pretty much had it at 4770 miles..  :shock:

P1020521 by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr

NeilD

well as its a bit quiet in here, just thought i'd update this thread...

.. firstly the title still applies..  :D  

the PR3's are great  8) especially in the wet. Not that i had the scorpions sliding or anything, but these ones just seem to inspire a bit more confidence.. :?

took it in for its 6000 mile service a couple of weeks back - dealer noticed that the ball joints on the gearchange linkage were a bit sloppy, so changed them under warranty (apparently they've seen a few like it)..

MPG seems to be improving, although that may be partly due to me having bought a Bonneville for my 'other half' to ride, so i've been riding at a more sedate pace when we're out on the bikes together..   :D    

other than that, nothing much to report - had a couple of trips to Scarborough

P1020719 by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr

and i parked him in a field, just so he could feel like a proper off-roading Tiger..  :D

P1020580 by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr

Sin_Tiger

Should have bought her a Thruxton then  :lol:

Like your Arty pics  8)

I'm still sitting here frustrated by beaurocracy  :roll:

Interested in your PR3 comment, pity the fronts not available in 21"
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

NeilD

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"Should have bought her a Thruxton then  :lol:
:shock:  Sssssh dont give her ideas!  :D  its Claires first road bike for 20-odd years so she's doing well with it... what i do find is that i'm accelerating more gently and sticking closer to the out of town speed limits, which is probably explaining the better MPG and is actually making for a more relaxing ride for me.. this may not last once she gets back into the groove!

still waiting for yours to be released from captivity then?   :(

oh, as no one else comes in here, do you think I'll get away with posting a pic of 'my other Triumphs' ?  :twisted:

P1020807 by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr

Sin_Tiger

Think you got away with it  :wink:

I see you were kind enough to let her have the Arrows 2-1, if she wrings it's neck it will actually keep you on your toes.

Yup still pacing the compound, between the stealer and the local bureaucracy I'm going nuts  :evil: