News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Diagnosis needed

Started by 97tiger885, January 11, 2012, 08:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

Quote from: "JetdocX"26mpg sounds low to me. When was the last time you checked your valve clearances? Is it hard to start? Smell like gas all the time? Puddles of gas under it?

We need more info, man!    

I am not D-Fuzz but...I am way overdue to check my valve clearances. My mc is beginning to reek of gas. [It seems like the carbs are flooding. The mc starts fairly easily if I put it on full choke and open the throttle the whole way.] There are no puddles unless I fill the tank and put it on the sidestand. My mpgs are usually in the mid-30s. This last time I got mid-20s but I have been doing nothing but very short trips (3 miles and less).

Diagnosis? Valves,...,carbs? I am hoping carbs as I can live with that for a while. And I am hoping that replacing o-rings (not floats, etc.) will take care of it.

Mustang

puddles on the side stand are usually fubared float assemblies in the mikunis , probably the orings theres a sticky thread with mcmaster carr part numbers for em .

full choke with throttle wide open is probably because it is flooding , and the gas smell is the other tip off

overhaul them carbs there is a sticky for that .

97tiger885

Quote from: "Mustang"puddles on the side stand are usually fubared float assemblies in the mikunis , probably the orings theres a sticky thread with mcmaster carr part numbers for em .

full choke with throttle wide open is probably because it is flooding , and the gas smell is the other tip off

overhaul them carbs there is a sticky for that .

Ok, carb overhaul time. What do you mean by overhaul...carb float o-rings only or carb float o-rings, floats and whatever?  I have exceeded the time, money and patience budget for the 885 for now.  I did order the small and large 0-rings (9263K121 for the small size and 9263K137 for the large) from http://www.mcmastercarr.com since they should be around $15 with shipping.
Looks like the 885 is going to backup status to the K100RS until Spring arrives.

Mustang

just take em apart and check everything for wear , especially the slides
put in the new orings and make sure the needle valves and seats are good