News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

My cats afraid of water :)

Started by Hossboro, February 09, 2012, 08:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hossboro

Ok so the saga might have an ending of sorts, not a good ending by the look of things.
Local mechanic replaced rocker cover gasket (water in oil problem solved), now he believes it might have blown/sticking a valve, runs fine on start up but once warmed up is when the problems start, very bad sounding and throwing smoke does not have any power and firing badly.

Does anyone think it is worth me trying it on as a project (bearing in mind im a novice of the first degree) my mate is good though for some help.

Or anyone interested in making a spares or repair offer for me to consider my options, either way run about needed for now anyway.

Pics are on site check my posts.......

North East England
1997 Tiger Volcanic Red

Mustang

any one check valve clearances yet ................???????

Hossboro

Thnx Mustaaannng.   Will be something for me to look at, getting it back today and have to spend my spare time working on it.  Decided not to get rid and put my limited skills a bit of a stretch.  Thats unless someone offers me rediculous money of course :)

North East England
1997 Tiger Volcanic Red

Bixxer Bob

I can do rediculous.... how about a tenner? :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Hossboro

Ok so things have moved on a little now, Thought I would keep you up to date with how things are going and maybe get some inspiration too.

Being not entirely convinced that my problem lies with a valve or valves, due to lack of problems once engine is warmed up and after a run were the problem occurs then disappears at idle, still could be I know.
Thought I would start at the basics, change all 3 plugs (hmm got 2 out need to get the right plug spanner for No 2) 1 & 3 look fine but new put in anyway.
Have completed compression test from cold on 1&3 (due to bike stripped already) just shy of 200 psi each (checked 3 times) is that too high i wonder or is it ok?  will let you know about No 2 when I get the tool  :D . completed meter readings on coils and HT leads all have same readings, I know this is not the be all & end all but it seems promising (oh and sorry Mustang got it wrong they are PVL's).
Hope this is narrowing this down a little and if number 2 is ok then I would like to think this is a good sign.
Then I guess I will look into fuel problems maybe, will keep you updated and thnx for any input, it is very very welcomed...

just in case you don't want to go back to previous posts, the problem has been narrowed down to, any weather dry or wet now, ok on start up, runs fine around town mostly, but when getting onto the open road and asking for some power IE:  up to about 40mph seems ok then ask for overtaking power and the issue starts with no power then misfiring badly followed by drop in power all together and grey/white smoke pouring out, ease off throttle and stop even, will settle down and then ok again.

North East England
1997 Tiger Volcanic Red

Mustang

200 psi is good ...pretty much rules out valves,and rings .

the white grey smoke could be oil burning , but that doesn't jive with the compression readings .

pvl's don't generally have problems like the gills do ,

time to start looking hard at the carbs :wink:
cap on the right hand snorkel ?

Hossboro

Yeah pretty much what i thought, still need to check that No 2 , but looks good to me too, carb seem like next step.  Yep cap is on the snorkel.  keep ya posted thnx Mustang.

North East England
1997 Tiger Volcanic Red

Hossboro

Update :  Got that pesky No 2 out, plug was sooty (burning oil I presume) compression test was tiny bit down on others but still 185 is ok.  So need to move on to fuel problem maybe, would redex do any harm for a starter before I strip the carb, just to see if it helps.

North East England
1997 Tiger Volcanic Red

Mustang

with the symptoms you are describing , you need to check em good and clean em good !

metalguru

Quote from: "Hossboro"Update :  Got that pesky No 2 out, plug was sooty (burning oil I presume) compression test was tiny bit down on others but still 185 is ok.  So need to move on to fuel problem maybe, would redex do any harm for a starter before I strip the carb, just to see if it helps.

Need to be really accurate here as could change the course of diagnostics.
The compression pressures are about 200psi for 1 and 3.
What are the exact pressures as looking at a 15psi difference just on number 2 cyl. Triumph don't list pressures but 20% difference usually means something is amiss.
If 1 and 3 are identical and 2 is down then it shows a leak. The leak will be into the water jacket as wet liners are used. Does the coolant bottle smell of exhaust? The difference is only small but it could be the start. (10:6 cr).
Reading the post again it seems to have bad running when warm/hot. How long is your commute and when does the problem occur in miles, does it stay consistant?
Sooty plug can also denote bad combustion. Also plug may be faulty, as carboned plug makes for a good misfire too.
Lots of questions there but will make diags easier to the main fault.
Finally the carb rubbers are shot so did you change them and rebalance the carbs?

Redex is good for lighting bonfires/barbis etc!
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Hossboro

Ok so here is the update again.  Sorry about the not so accurate readings on the compression test, actaul figures were 1&3 196 psi and 2 was 187 psi I am not too sure but I would put that difference down to the ongoing Valve stem seal problem I have.
Changed all plugs, cleaned carbs (yes I know with redex) sorry.  But hey I am not counting my chickens but things seem to have improved dramatically.  Oh and as for the miles before problem starts I would say about 2-3 miles in and maybe just maybe this could also contribute, maybe its not warmed up enough before I get onto main drag hmmm, cos gave her a really got warm up before test drive and she ran like a real kitty on steroids wow...   we will see in the next few days.

Thnx for all the imput guys..  

Edited sorry No 2 was 187 not 87 psi........

North East England
1997 Tiger Volcanic Red

nightrunner

I would be more concerned about that low cylinder.  The stem seals are what keep oil out of the combustion chamber and combustion gases out of the oil.  Stem seals are not part of the 'compression boundary'.  If the valve clearances are correct, then either the valve does not seal in the seat (need a valve job), or rings are bad, or head gasket is leaking, or there's a tiny hole in the piston.   I would check the compression again very carefully.  If the one is still low then verify the valves are adjusted properly.  If they are then best let a pro look at it, and hope its the head gasket.

EDIT: I just checked the previous page and saw the post about white smoke.  My experience (admittedly most of which is with cars, not bikes) is that white smoke is water/anti-freeze.  Oil getting in the combustion chamber makes a black smoke with a hint of blue to it.  Blue smoke all the time is rings, while blue smoke only on warm-up is valves.  Low compression and white smoke on hard accel suggests to me a slightly leaking head gasket.  Coolant is getting pulled in but only under high vacuum when you open the throttle.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

metalguru

:iagree

These have been known for the exhaust valves to embed in the valve seat causing the valve clearance to deminish and burn the valve seat.

Would also concur to check valve clearances and prepare for possible head off. Wouldn't recommend riding till fault is found.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

windscreenman1

ive bought the problem  cat   :oops:  :oops:   :oops:

i rode this home in the dry  bogged down in all gears did improve slightly after 10 miles or so still not good smoke real bad black not blue so i think thats a good thing :?
i like the ride  and want to use it
will be pulling it to bits next week to try and get to the bottom of it
thank you