News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

The wages of the sin of arrogance is this

Started by 97tiger885, February 13, 2012, 08:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

I replaced the air filter box last week.  I did not replace the o-rings in the float assembly against the advice of Mustang.  

Quote from: "Mustang"it's pretty easy right now to replace the orings on the float assemblies while you already have the carbs off , murphys law says " if you don't do it now you will have to go thru the aggravation of pulling them off again"

The result was my carbs puking all over my driveway.

And the aggravation of having to pull the carbs off again in 35F temps.

My suggestion is: listen to the advice of your betters.

Bob Tosi

QuoteMy suggestion is: listen to the advice of your betters.

:BangHead  :ImaPoser
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

97tiger885

I think the carbs are now working to spec.  It was not w/o adversity.  Yesterday, in 40F temps, I put on the carbs and air filter .  Today, with 50F, I put on the filter snorkels and the tank to test the carbs.  Turned on the petcock and more gas starts to pour onto my driveway...wtf?#$%@#!...I couldn't see where it was coming from; so, off come the carbs again.  Of course, it turns out not to be a carb problem but a cracked gas line linking the petcock to the in-line fuel filter.  I could have fixed that w/o pulling the carbs.  But I am getting much better at installing the carb/air filter.  Initial testing is good.  MC started right up, no reeking of gas and no puddles so far.  I am keeping my fingers crossed.

One question: The mc is a bit slow to return to idle speed when I pull in the clutch.  It is not terrible, but a little slow.  Is this normal?  I am now paranoid and hypervigilant.   Do I have a small air leak in the boots between the head and the carbs?  Is there a  return spring of some sort on the throttle cable that may be wearing?

Thanks for the help and support.

Mustang

sometimes the fuel hose will rub on the linkage for the throttle and cause the probs you are seeing

and I find that me tiggers are slow to return back to 1500 rpm or so idle speed when its cold out and they are not run long .

97tiger885

Quote from: "Mustang"sometimes the fuel hose will rub on the linkage for the throttle and cause the probs you are seeing

and I find that me tiggers are slow to return back to 1500 rpm or so idle speed when its cold out and they are not run long .

ok, thanks.  I am not going to fiddle with it unless it gets worse.