News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Plastic Fuel tank issue

Started by TigerT, February 19, 2012, 08:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TigerT

My tank has started to bubble and the guy who services it says he has seen a couple of these and it's chemicals in the fuel attacking the plastic. Eventually it will go through and petrol will leak out.
Anyone come across this?
Do the the later ie 2006 tanks fit earlier models such as a 2003 as I have been offered one of these?
Any comments gratefully received!!
2003 Girly
1999 DR350

Timbox2

Quote from: "TigerT"My tank has started to bubble and the guy who services it says he has seen a couple of these and it's chemicals in the fuel attacking the plastic. Eventually it will go through and petrol will leak out.
Anyone come across this?
Do the the later ie 2006 tanks fit earlier models such as a 2003 as I have been offered one of these?

Yep, itll fit, they only thing you may find is if the new tank comes with the fuel pump plate and fuel hose attachment that may be different, the later bikes went to a single fuel line, but that part is interchangeable if so.
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

Quote from: "TigerT"My tank has started to bubble and the guy who services it says he has seen a couple of these and it's chemicals in the fuel attacking the plastic. Eventually it will go through and petrol will leak out.
Anyone come across this?

I'd take that with a large pinch of salt,plastic breaths hence the bubble,I'm old enough to remember the time when it was illegal in the UK to have a plastic tank on a bike,but those days are long gone.

But if you do decide to buy another,everyone I've seen including the one I sold is bare with the pump taken out,either pump will fit.

thetolleyman

Did they fix this problem with the later tanks (05-06)?
Tiger 955i

PeteH

Quote from: "TigerT"My tank has started to bubble and the guy who services it says he has seen a couple of these and it's chemicals in the fuel attacking the plastic.

I heard that one too when I enquired with a paint sprayer to get the bubble on my tank sorted. But then the paint had bubbled just behind where the left hand indicator pod sits so its not always wet with petrol up there.
Just got it back from spraying and its looking good.. no issues mentioned but I`ll keep an eye on the area that was painted.
On the other side one of the decals had a small bubble in it he ran a finger over it and it went away...sure to re appear tho.

As for the tank eventually leaking... I reckon thats highly unlikely
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Ironhorse

Has anyone put a pinhole in the bubble and gotten it to stay down? I don't like the stripe anyway so I just removed all of them and gave her a satin black paint job. Repairs with a rattle can.
Joe

TigerT

Thanks for the info. The bubbling seems quite common, no one seems to have had a petrol leak though which is encouraging!
2003 Girly
1999 DR350