News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Selling the GS...Steamer time?

Started by Mudhen, December 14, 2004, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Well, the time has come for me to part with my '04 Adventure - it's just too expensive for me.  I've always loved [the look of] Steamers but have zero experience with them; very little experience with motorcycles at all, actually (F650 Dakar a couple years ago but couldn't stand the lack of power on the highway so traded it for the Adv).

So my overall question for you Tiger guys is:  for my style of riding, do you think a Steamer would be appropriate?

My riding consists of a 100 mile/day commute on the highway that is about to be 120 miles.  I love off roading.  I take the GS places I probably shouldn't - will the Tiger hold up to abuse?  (not that I beat on my bike...usually I'm just 'lumping' along - as slow as possible, as fast as necessary).

I'll take any thoughts you have on the subject...good, bad, flames, etc.  It's all good.

Thanks a lot,

Pat

(I'm really only doing this switch to prove that BigDave got it backwards...  :lol: )
\'96 Steamer

looch

Hey Mudhen,

Remember me - the lone Tiger owner at the Cromag campout?

A couple of things you would need to do / add: Change the Tourances; add a bash plate and radiator guard; stiffen up the front suspension; crash bars.

Personally, I'd opt for something a little lighter if was going to try and follow you guys.
Looch

Mudhen

Quote from: "looch"Hey Mudhen,

Remember me - the lone Tiger owner at the Cromag campout?

A couple of things you would need to do / add: Change the Tourances; add a bash plate and radiator guard; stiffen up the front suspension; crash bars.

Personally, I'd opt for something a little lighter if was going to try and follow you guys.

LOOCH!  How the heck are you?

I hope you're heeding your own advice and getting that thing ready for CroMag 05!  Or what about the Quebec 2000?  I've already started prepping the wife for that one...5 day rally up in your neck of the woods!  I'm in!

You wouldn't want anything lighter to ride with us...you'd be bored!  Anyone could take a 250 and ride the roads we did - the fun is in the challenge of getting those big traillies though it.

Most of those things on your list I wouldn't need.

I rarely park my bike on the bash plate:

Or go places I'd need knobbies:

Or use my crashbars:

I have heard that the air intake will need to be moved...not that I ever go in water...(not my bike but I'd just gone through this):

I think I've decided on a 1996 that's just north of me.  Hopefully I can close the deal this week and get her to her new home.  I just looked at Red Menace's pics again and I'm itching to go for a ride!!!!
\'96 Steamer

Mudhen

Oh ya...sorry for the non-Tiger pics.  I'm working on that!
\'96 Steamer

looch

Nice pics! I hope you're not trying to sell that thing here :D

Quebec 2000 - I've ridden part of the area where that is taking place - on an XR250R. At least it'll be later in the summer - June would have been brutal for black flies.

Would be nice to see that steamer before the Campout, if not - see ya then.
Looch

Mudhen

For sale:  '04 GS Adventure, 26k miles, never seen dirt...'   :lol:

Picking the Steamer up on Saturday.  Can't wait.  It already has the Jack Lilley bars and a jet kit.  Not going to do too much to it until I ride it some and get a feel for it.  Finally got some snow down here so there will be no trail riding for awhile.

I'm kind of scared...I've never owned a bike with CARBS before!   :shock:
\'96 Steamer