News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Running Rich after winter slumber.

Started by Danny955i, February 29, 2012, 05:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny955i

So, 'unpacked' the bike about a month ago. Have yet to do a 12min reset, or plug it into TuneECU, but when I commuted to work the other day the bike would pop. Not the normal 'lean' high/crisp pop.. but a low, "poof" pop on deceleration... something it's never done before.

When pulling into the garage after 50 miles, I let it idle and it wreaked of rich exhaust.

What changed after winter? The battery was dead, and I threw in a new one when I unpacked it. So could this have reset my IACV and O2 values? Again, haven't run any diagnostics on it, there's no check engine light, and haven't run a 12 min tune.

It's at 25k, needs a valve check desperately (have not done it since new) and it's running about 3 tablespoons of Lucas Fuel treatment in the tank.. fresh high-test. Also, during riding, it feels as though it would benefit from a throttle-body balance.

What should be the first plan of attack?

Valves... TB balance...  12 min tune... then re-flash and IACV adjustments?

metalguru

Reset IACV first and go from there.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Mustang

check your valves .............poof poof

Bixxer Bob

If the battery was completely dead then yes, you'll have lost you trims. Doing the 12 min tune will help.  But you could try the alternative to12 min tune that I posted. Can't hurt and we (read I anyway)  really need to know if its any good.  It might need 2 or 3 goes but its quicker than the standard 12 min.

Here it is...

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,10840
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Danny955i

Quote from: "Mustang"check your valves .............poof poof

Definitely doing this first... putting in my order for the tool today by the way!

Chris Canning

The old tiger has been spread all over the garage floor for months,finally back together with a revalved Ohlins and after Bobs post the other week,I've never done the 12 minute tune in the 11 years I've owned the bike it always been the alternative.

Still got to come apart again as I'd forgotten to undo the engine sprocket ready for a new'un so had to put it all back together :roll:

Bixxer Bob

Mine's on 25k and never neede shims, just done them about 200 miles ago and all well inside spec.  Blackbird is on 65k and never needed any either.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Mine has 33,000 on,has been shimmed twice,the first time it need loads in,but as i've said on before,never seen a winters day in it's life but boy has it taken a pasting doing long trips over the years.

Bixxer Bob

It's all that sustained high RPM Chris :lol:

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"It's all that sustained high RPM Chris :lol:

I've no doubt,it was first shimmed at 15000 by Windy Corner and the qoute was 'WTF have you been doing on this' :oops: