News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Wiring a voltmeter

Started by Goodwinsplace, October 05, 2011, 10:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goodwinsplace

After my battery dying on me the other day I thought it would be a good idea to get a voltmeter, so I've just picked one up on ebay for a couple of £'s.

I'm probably not going to have it wired to the ignition as I have bought a separate switch in Maplin that will be used to quickly show me the juice I have available.

Am I alright wiring it straight to the batter if I'm using a switch? I might even mount it somewhere under the seat rather than cut into the dials.
My personal journey on two wheels: MotorbikeTest.info Blog

Goodwinsplace

Hello,
Anyone got a clue on this? I have done a couple of searches without any clear answer.
My personal journey on two wheels: MotorbikeTest.info Blog

TigerTrax

Mine is wired to battery thru a relay to switch on with ignition.

I show 14.3-14.5 w/o other things ON.

Heated grips ... drops to 14.2v

Aux lights drops to 13.8v
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

oxnsox

Should be wired direct to battery (thru a switch) to give the most accurate reading.
Also, put a fuse in the line too.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

iansoady

Quote from: "oxnsox"Should be wired direct to battery (thru a switch) to give the most accurate reading.

That's true, but as long as you get to know what's normal for your bike then it's deviations from that which you're looking for

QuoteAlso, put a fuse in the line too.

Indeed.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

cdubya

Wired in my Datel yesterday. Original owner tapped into blue wire with yellow stripe (headlight wire) for power for heated grips. It was suggested to me to piggy back on this power source for the voltmeter. It works! However.....

When key is on only showing 10.5 volts due to Headlight consumption/12.9 v at the battery. Big discrepancy due to power source. I know I'll get used to a few reference #'s to know what is normal which is fine. However, just curious if any of you wiring guru's (I am NOT one) know of a keyed wire under the fairing that I might tap into that would give me a more accurate/cleaner/unused voltage reading without having to run a wire and switch from the battery? I've looked over the wiring diagram and it's greek to me. I'd just be taking a stab at a random wire according to what "seems" correct from the wiring diagram and I'd like to avoid any unnecessary fug ups.
Thanks gents. Looking to launch a few week escape to the desert on Sunday. I have to navigate 200 yards of snow packed driveway first though.  :(  It'll be a rodeo but it'll be fun. My old man is all excited to come and watch me attempt a departure and be there as a bike "picker upper" if I lose it! Har har!
06 Girly

Jon H.

Triumph used minimal gauge wiring on the Tiger.  Under the fairing, the wiring gauge is too small and too far from the battery.  I mounted an auxiliary fuse box aft of the battery and connected to the battery through a relay, with heavy gauge wire. I have my voltmeter connected here and it reads same as at the battery.  I am no guru, but I am a retired instrumentation engineer.

Jon in SC
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black
1971 Norton Commando - Black
1983 Moto Guzzi LeMans lll - Red
2009 Suzuki DL 650S - Black