News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tyre help needed

Started by Tigertriple, February 01, 2012, 09:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tigertriple

Checked the tread depth today,  front and rear are at 5mm accross the tread. The rear tyre looks very squared off and I'm not sure if it should be like this as I've never had a bike with these type of tyres.

This is my main reason for thinking of fitting new tyres. Can anyone tell me if this is normal for Anakees or should I be changing them.

2006, 955 Tiger Caspian blue with lot\'s of juicy extras

Mustang

yep pretty much all the dual sport tires wear like that , especially on tigger rears . some worse than others . tourances do it , michelins do it , shinkos do it etc etc

Bixxer Bob

Squaring off is normal for any tyre if you do motorway / dual carriage way miles or normal road commuting.

Before you get to the legal minimum you'll find it becoming a pig to turn in and when it does it'll then drop into the turn.  Also, the front will probably be cupped and start to run wide before its down to minimum.

If you've 5mm I wouldn't be changing them yet.... :D
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

cosmo

Those look good, send 'em to me, I'll finish 'em off!!

Seriously, I've gotten 16K out of two sets of Anakees, while YMMV, you should be close unless you cane it.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Tigertriple

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Squaring off is normal for any tyre if you do motorway / dual carriage way miles or normal road commuting.

Before you get to the legal minimum you'll find it becoming a pig to turn in and when it does it'll then drop into the turn.  Also, the front will probably be cupped and start to run wide before its down to minimum.

If you've 5mm I wouldn't be changing them yet.... :D

Thanks for the advice.What is cupping as I've heard this phrase a lot , but don't know what it means :oops:

Mustang

Quote from: "Tigertriple"Thanks for the advice.What is cupping as I've heard this phrase a lot , but don't know what it means :oops:
here is a classic case of cupping , which BTW generally happens to a front tire more than a rear .

if you look in the photo you can see where the front of the tread block is almost new and the rear of each treadblock is almost gone . Classic Cupping at it's finest .
Need a front tire destroyed ? let me run it on the hack for 1500 miles I guaranty it will look like the photo below .

Chris Canning

Michelins are notorious for cupping,I had a pair of Road 02's on the Tiger with plenty of wear left on e'm but they had cupped that bad I took e'm off.

Tigertriple

Thanks Guys. It now makes sense. My front tyre is just like the one in Mustangs photo. Time for new ones  :lol:

Chris Canning

What you will find,some riders ignore it,or don't realise or don't care!!,and soldier on and get big miles of Mich's.

HockleyBoy

Quote from: "Chris Canning"What you will find,some riders ignore it,or don't realise or don't care!!,and soldier on and get big miles of Mich's.

All of those!  :D
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

vince

mine sound like that too, :(
i think i'll change them in the near future  
going to try bridge stone 023's now that they do them in 19inch front
what if the hokey cokey is what it's all about