News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Newbie with headlight question

Started by Daveyboy, March 04, 2012, 02:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daveyboy

Hi All

Now a fully fledged owner of an 06 Girly, didn't realise that when I bought it, anyway looking for some help.
got the solonoid from Triump to get both head leights working..........but ti makes the main beams both come on ? i thought and wanted both the dipped beams on. Answers on a post card, also if anyone is local to Camberley Surrey England I would like to meet up and compare.

Looking forward to being part of the team, already like my bike after one day.

iansoady

You need 2 relays - one for dip one for main.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Daveyboy

thank you I paid £20 for the main beam one!!! do you then remove the original one with the second one ? :?:

Bixxer Bob

£20 :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Daylight effin' robbery!

Relays are about three quid each from automotive suppliers. You have to get the right ones of course, but FFS  :evil:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

metalguru

:iagree

Can even be free from scrap yards, get the right ones though.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

KuzzinKenny

Hey Daveyboy !! Welcome to TT.com  :occasion14

have a looky here..........

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/viewto ... ght=relays

it should answer all yer ??  :D

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"£20 :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Daylight effin' robbery!

Relays are about three quid each from automotive suppliers. You have to get the right ones of course, but FFS  :evil:

Which over the years most folks have not  :roll:

BigDan

On this topic guys, is the dual headlight an MOT fail? Should I remove the thingymabob before my MOT next week?
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook

iansoady

In theory, as there are 2 separate headlights it's a construction and use issue not an MoT fail (twin headlights are apparently OK if they're under a single lens). But it would be a rare MoT station that would bother.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Daveyboy

Guys that has been very helpful and enlighting.

first compute today into London its good, on dry roads Wandsworth oneway system is now a pleasure

ride safe

mat-tiger1

Quote from: "BigDan"On this topic guys, is the dual headlight an MOT fail? Should I remove the thingymabob before my MOT next week?

Not an issue for my local MOT tester for the last two years :!:

Didn't risk leaving the TOR can on though :!:  :lol:
All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

grafty99

On my 885i one of the headlamps is a LHD so the beam pattern looks like this when up against a wall:

__ __/  

obviously it should be;

__ __

Which would have been a fail until i whipped out the insulation tape mid test! lukily the tester was alright. So it is worth checking the pattern. However it went down on my MOT sheet as an advisory - "headlamp mask fitted"
Maybe a different side headlight is dipped for the european market?

is this just mine or all of them?
2000 885i Girly
2004 KTM SX 125
2002 TD5 Landrover Defender

(trying to keep it as British as possible!)

Timbox2

Quote from: "Daveyboy"Guys that has been very helpful and enlighting.

first compute today into London its good, on dry roads Wandsworth oneway system is now a pleasure

ride safe

Wandsworth One Way system and pleasure?, Nah, sorry the two dont compute :lol:
2016 Tiger Sport

PeteH

No problems here either MOT wise with both headlights on....or for that matter with the TOR can..just put some ally tape over the offending stamp :)
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

blacktiger

Quote from: "grafty99"On my 885i one of the headlamps is a LHD so the beam pattern looks like this when up against a wall:

__ __/  

obviously it should be;

__ __

You're right and I tape over the lens where it throws the light the wrong way. And, I swap the tape to the other lens when I take the bike abroad. Never had a problem with the MOT.

To the OP, from memory you have four slots for the relays. One for each filament. So you can choose what lights up by leaving out a relay or two..
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.