News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Side stand lengthening?

Started by MarkShelley, March 13, 2012, 05:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkShelley

Apologies if this has been covered, but is there an easy fix for the rediculous angle of the bike when on the side stand?
Even with my newly fitted camel toe it is a daft angle and takes up more space in the garage. I am getting fed up of having to put a chock of wood under it.
I reckon you could add 50mm and still be OK.
This ole World keeps spinning round, it`s a wonder tall trees aint layin down.

Tiger 900
BMW R1100GS
Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California
Yamaha TT250R
Yamaha DT50MX
Honda MT50/C90 Hybrid racing moped!
Yamaha DT50MX

Big Mick

I bought a new one, as I was reduced to only being able to use the centre stand, for fear of the bike going right over, they are around £50.
97 Steamer, Caspian Blue.
Girly wheels, Venom Exhausts, Corbin Seat,
Powerbronze Touring Screen, Triumph span adjustable levers.

Mustang

It's bent is why she leans over so bad and even replacing it .....it will just bend the new one again

and it's not bent at the obvious spot you think it would bend at.............

it's not really the factory bend that bends it is the section from the mounting hole to the factory bend that actually bends
see photo

heat it up with a torch and bend it back straight then weld a 1/4 inch steel rod to it for support

Big Mick

I have had the old one modified, although I am yet to try it out.
97 Steamer, Caspian Blue.
Girly wheels, Venom Exhausts, Corbin Seat,
Powerbronze Touring Screen, Triumph span adjustable levers.

Geoff W

I agree with Mustang about the bend ( how could I not agree with anything Mustang says?). Having replaced one sidestand and found the new one not much of an improvement, I tried heating it in a primitive hearth and hitting with big implement to try and straighten it a bit, to little avail, you really need proper stuff to do this. An agricultural engineer friend of mine is going to try and sort it out, I will pass on Mustang's advice to him.
 One thing I have noticed is that the frame the sidestand bolts onto tends to twist under the weight making the angle of dangle worse. Has anyone tried strengthening this?.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Sin_Tiger

That might hit your foot peg, sorry to say  :oops:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

the pc the side stand attaches too is a cast part , and it is a pretty shitty design to be hangin a kickstand off of . best thing you can do is check where the skid pan is missing a bolt right where the water pump hose runs . all 4 of mine were missing that one bolt from the factory and every one I've ever worked on is missing that bolt . (it must have been to hard to put in as the bike rolled down the assembly line so the worker just said screw it and left it off )it really adds a lot of strength to the casting that the stand is mounted too if the skid pan can't twist .

nightrunner

Doesn't it also wear at the pivot?  Its a very mild steel piece and the clevis holes get worn and loose.  Mine seems to have a lot of play at that joint anyway.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

aeronca

you got the word "Bend" 9 times in there Mustang :lol:
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Mustang

Quote from: "nightrunner"Doesn't it also wear at the pivot?  Its a very mild steel piece and the clevis holes get worn and loose.  Mine seems to have a lot of play at that joint anyway.
yep that too !