News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

885i steam on the exhaust

Started by SSchultz, March 16, 2012, 11:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSchultz

Noticed a couple day ago,when I start the engine there is a lot of steam coming from the exhaust.All normal in the first 5-10 sec,then steam starts to come,can even see drops of liquid trickling out on the inside of the can.  After 3-4 min all goes back to normal.
Steam has no smell,drops look like clear water.If I leave the bike for an hour and turn the ignition steam comes all again,same as before.Even with warm engine.
Only seen that 2 days ago,haven't noticed a significant drop in the coolant level.
Could it be a gasket gone?Any thoughts?Thank you

300+ miles ride next weekend,don't know if I should  :?:

PeteH

If the head has gone and fluids are passing then you would see the coolant level drop, could just be climatic conditions, keep an eye on the level.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

BigDan

My 955i does that every morning, as above poster says its just weather conditions. At the moment, its going very cold at night but fairly warm during the day, causng the steam and water droplets. Mine has been doing it since december. It will stop doing it when it warms up again :)
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook

SSchultz

Thanks for opinions.It's not that sort of normal steam you're talking about.Started again this morning,a lot of steam and water coming out for 5min.Good part is that coolant is at the same level.Also noticed that I'm missing one fixing bolt in the can,so there is a hole in the exhaust.Maybe that helps that weird condensing.Weird indeed,looks like 50ml only in drops dripping out.At least the engine runs smooth,no coughs or strange noises.I'll keep an eye on the coolant level for the next days.

BigDan

Mine is literally tiny droplets, don't know how long it happens before cos its never worried me so, once the revs have dropped to 1,200 or so I hope on and ride.

Either way, i'm sure you have nothing to worry about. Its either condensation or (if possible) a tiny bit of unburnt fuel. 99% certain its just condensation :)
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook

steamer3

condensation in exaust. mine does the same.

SSchultz

Went for a ride yesterday.Back in the garage,blocked the exhaust with some rags  so there could be no condensation forming  inside the can.This afternoon,removed the rags and started engine.Again,lots of steam.Coolant same level.Now I'm really lost,where's that stuff coming from?

MarkShelley

Quote from: "SSchultz"Went for a ride yesterday.Back in the garage,blocked the exhaust with some rags  so there could be no condensation forming  inside the can.This afternoon,removed the rags and started engine.Again,lots of steam.Coolant same level.Now I'm really lost,where's that stuff coming from?

If your coolant levels are not decreasing it can only be condensation.
There is always some water vapour in the air. The warmer the air, the more moisture it can contain. When you blocked the exhaust you simply trapped the moist air in the exhaust system (you would have to create a vacuum to purge all water vapour). As the system cools down the capacity of the air to hold moisture diminishes once the `dew point` is reached it has to `lose` some in the form of water droplets.
The colder it gets, the more water will get deposited.
This ole World keeps spinning round, it`s a wonder tall trees aint layin down.

Tiger 900
BMW R1100GS
Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California
Yamaha TT250R
Yamaha DT50MX
Honda MT50/C90 Hybrid racing moped!
Yamaha DT50MX

PeteH

The combustion process actually creats water vapour :shock: (amonst other things :wink: )
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

macgart

The exhaust gases will condense until the pipe heats up and the gases rise above the dew point.  Mine has done it for years.  

I see the same thing with heating boilers all the time.
99 Tiger "Goldie"
The more I ride it, the more I love it!
http://www.johnnymacmotoadventures.com/