News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Hesitant Starting

Started by 737captain, March 20, 2012, 12:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

737captain

I have just bought a 2002 955i with almost 40,000. The bike has been well taken of and serviced regularly, it has new plugs fitted. My prior experience has been with a couple of fi Hondas and a Harley Road Glide all of which start at the touch of the button.

The Tigger is sometimes hesitant sometimes not. One time it will fire right up the next it cranks for what seems like an eternity, well 10-15 secs anyway. Once it starts it runs great.

The local dealer said it had an old tune loaded that may help but went on talking about valve seats, leaking vacuum lines, gremlins et al.

Before I through big bucks at it does anyone have any pointers or suggestion?

Thanks in advance

metalguru

Just start with the basics

Do you start it by turning on the main switch and pressing the start button WITHOUT turning the throttle? May seem a bit strange but tiggers will not start easy if the throttle is played with.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Chris Canning

6 weeks time I'll have had my 955 11 years,when cold it starts pretty good,when hot can some times go on the button times it'll take a bit more effort,but not in the league of other bikes I own or others in the past.

But 15 secs is too much,as the man said touching the throttle is a major no no,but my first port of call would be plugs and make sure it's a newish battery.

If the bike doesn't start straight away,switch it off and try again,I rarely get it with the 955 but occasionally,when I say I rarely get it,the 885 was terrible for doing and I met no end of others who had the same problem,it's the pick up on the ignition moving out of sinc,if the bike didn't start in it's first revoltion I'd turn it off and start again,sometimes had to do it twice.