News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Help needed fitting Baglux tank cover.

Started by aesdj, March 17, 2012, 09:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aesdj

Try'd fitting my cover today and it looks as if there's not a hope in hell of it fitting. Get it right around the filler cap and it's about 30mm short of reaching the front on both sides. Fit it to the front first on one side and it's about 50mm away from the other side reaching the front. The side clips don't want to stay on the black side covers. It says to fit it in warm weather as it's soft so will strech but I carn't see it streching the ammount that it needs to fit. It's been in the house since I baught it in Jan which I thought would be warm enought. I even got a hairdryer on it but that was a waste of time. Even considered putting it in the tumble dryer in a quilt cover for 30 minutes. Please guys I need all your help so come on and give me your wise wisdom.

NKL

You do need a nice warm day to fit them, or at least sunny so the cover gets warm all over.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

MarkShelley

I have fitted no end of these to lots of different bikes. Normally it is pretty obvious how to fit them. Are you absolutely sure you have the right one for your bike? If it turns out that the one you have is black and for a Steamer, can I have first dibs :D
This ole World keeps spinning round, it`s a wonder tall trees aint layin down.

Tiger 900
BMW R1100GS
Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California
Yamaha TT250R
Yamaha DT50MX
Honda MT50/C90 Hybrid racing moped!
Yamaha DT50MX

MarkShelley

Does yours look like one of these for the 900/955? The colours may not match, but you should be able to tell by the seam lines.
http://www.baglux.co.uk/search/?keyword ... 0&brand=47

The ones for the Steamers are discontinued.

If you think you have the wrong one, why not lay it on your tank and take a picture?
This ole World keeps spinning round, it`s a wonder tall trees aint layin down.

Tiger 900
BMW R1100GS
Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California
Yamaha TT250R
Yamaha DT50MX
Honda MT50/C90 Hybrid racing moped!
Yamaha DT50MX

aesdj

Quote from: "MarkShelley"Normally it is pretty obvious how to fit them. Are you absolutely sure you have the right one for your bike?

I've got the right one it just looks as if it's to short or is this how they come when there new. I had one on my old bike (ZZR1200) but that was second hand so I'm guessing that that had already been stretched.

chairhead

Hairdryer!,

warm the cover thourghly off the bike so its plyable,i mean really warm it,do not use a heat gun for obivous reasons,the warmer the cover is the easier it is to fit,once warmed fit to the tank,have the hairdryer to hand as you do this,it will cool quickly,put the securing straps on and use them to centralize the cover,also use your hands to mold the cover where it needs it,concentrate on the front "cups",once you get those in place and secured the rest should follow,take your time and be gentle,it will take a good hour to do this,less on a sunny day,ive fitted countless covers on my different bikes,the Tiger has to be the hardest one ive done,but they are a great bit of kit,good luck! :D  :wink:
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

Timbox2

Yep, as chairhead says above, I too at first thought no way, but once the hotair gun had done its work went on easy.
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

If it's only 30mm short then you've def got the right one  :D

All of above postings,best solution is a warm day,alternative also as above,drop on tank,then mucho hairdryer,and I don't mean 10 minutes!!

aesdj

Cheers guys for the tips. I had another go yesterday but this time I went with the tumble dryer idea. Put it in for 10/15 minutes inside a quilt cover and it came out quite hot but lovely and soft. Sprinted into the garage and ran about fitting it like a headless chicken, pulling on all the straps before it cooled. One front corner was still quite hard to get around but once they were on and tight the rest fitted easy. I've not gone mad with the straps as I'm going to tension it through out the summer as my garage has a steel roof so it gets well hot in there. I may not even need to do that as I'm pleased with how it fit's now.

Chris Canning

Now that fits!!,it's not a Baglux it's a Bagster,Baglux are just the UK importer they don't make anything,sorry couldn't help it  :oops:

vince

now that you've huffed and puffed, :evil: :BangHead  
heaved and pulled, :x
and finally got it to fit :D :wings  
did you put some protection on.............
the tank  silly  :lol:  :lol:
sorry could'nt resist :lol:
 :idea:   i put a layer of cling film between tank and cover to protect the paint work
trimmed to fit and filler hole cut out :occasion14
enjoy :5moped
what if the hokey cokey is what it's all about

iansoady

Quote from: "vince"i put a layer of cling film between tank and cover to protect the paint work
trimmed to fit and filler hole cut out :occasion14

I've never found that necessary - mine's been on 7 years and the tank finish is fine. I do make sure that there are no bits of grit or small animals trapped uner the cover though.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

aesdj

Quote from: "vince"i put a layer of cling film between tank and cover to protect the paint work

No I didn't but my mates been on his GS for years and the tank still looks like new when he takes it off. I polished it with wax and just put it on. It'll be coming off every winter for a wax and it's that tight a fit I carn't see much if anything getting under it. With it being so tight it won't beable to move around to scratch it anyway.