News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Running with no muffler, good? Bad? Other?

Started by dj_squelch, March 23, 2012, 05:31:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dj_squelch

Are there any benefits or draw backs to running my Girly with the muffler off or one of those moto gp style stubby mufflers on there? I know it's loud as hell but besides that?

BigDan

I believe running without any muffler can cause problems due to complete lack of back pressure, but a moto GP style can will be fine. Might need a re-tune because they are so free flowing.
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook

iansoady

Quote from: "BigDan"will definitely need a re-tune because they are so free flowing.

Just corrected....

You will be in uncharted territory as regards a tune which will work let alone give reasonable performance. Can I ask why you want to do it?
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

dj_squelch

Quote from: "iansoady"You will be in uncharted territory as regards a tune which will work let alone give reasonable performance. Can I ask why you want to do it?

Not sure if I do, but, I recently installed a ROtLE muffler and during the install I had to fire it up with the open pipe just to hear it.  It was loud but sounded pretty damn mean!  Plus I think those little MotoGP cans look pretty damn cool.  So I figured if there's power to be made maybe I should look into it a little harder.

Hell for the low price of those stubby cans I might have to do it just for the sake of doing it.  I have the cable and program for the re-tune so why not?

metalguru

To make this work on an open pipe will at the least mean a visit to a rolling road and an operator familiar with TuneECU. Seat of the pants tuning is worthless as it is not all about ultimate power but trying to not melt the tops of the pistons.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

dj_squelch

Quote from: "metalguru"To make this work on an open pipe will at the least mean a visit to a rolling road and an operator familiar with TuneECU. Seat of the pants tuning is worthless as it is not all about ultimate power but trying to not melt the tops of the pistons.

This is the information I need.  Thank you.