News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Charging Issues GGrrrrrrrrrr-CTX12-BS Motobatt Battery

Started by inchey, March 27, 2012, 02:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inchey

I seem to be having lots of fun and games with my tigger and if i dont get to the bottom of it she will have to go  :(  which is not good as i enjoy riding her.
Right purchased her about 3 weeks ago and i decided to have the ecu checked to see if it was set for an after market can.
The mechanic came out and told me my voltage was down (at idle was showing under 13.0v) and maybe i needed a new r/r or altenator. I took his advice and purchased said items from electrex ( the r/r is the mosfet one) and my readings showed 13.8 at tick over so i thought hey its fixed.
How wrong was i  :( . On the way to work today stopped to get fuel and when i went to restart it took an age to start and was really slow so i knew the battery was getting tired, was just about to give up and she fired and i got to work. I switched her off and then tried to restart and i had nothing gggrrrrrr. i left her for 2 hours and whoosh she started again. switched her of and guess what she no start grrrrrrr.
I checked the batterys voltage and she is only showin 12.3, the battery is only 1-2 months old according to the previous owner and it looks it..

My questions are,
1, is my battery buggered due to a previous broken R/R and altenator.
2, Has anyb ody tried a Motobatt battery (A guy at JL's in ashford recommend using one).

Sorry for the ramblings i'm just getting frustrated with what could be a great bike.
Black 2003 Tiger 955i
Black Mk2 Mazda MX5

John Stenhouse

Only sure way to tell is a drop test on the battery. The voltage you get is right for a fully charged good battery, but you may have a cell gone or something which will only show up under load.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Chris Canning

For the price of a battery I'd put one on,just make sure it has a full charge when you put it on,Motobatt have a good reputation and getting even better,and I say that as an avid Odyssey user.

cdubya

Sounds like the battery is shot if you are getting 13.8v at idle and showing 12's after it has been running for a bit. Battery is not taking a charge. Battery's are fickle. I have heard of them dying within a month or two of purchase. Many factors there. Also, when I purchased my bike it had a four year old 12 amp hour battery in it that was weak at best. I milked it for another year. It finally died a few weeks ago and I replaced it with a 14 amp hour battery. The additional power of the 14 is noticeable. She really cranks up now. It is a bit taller than a 12ah but it fits fine even with the additional stuff I have stacked on top of it, (maxi fuse holder for the charging system mod).
06 Girly