News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

wheel swap - need rotors

Started by cmascr, April 21, 2012, 11:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmascr

I recently changed my 2006 Tiger's cast wheels to spokes. Swap is complete and the bike does great except the wheels came off a pre 99 bike. Meaning the front rotors are a little small. I need a set of 1999 - 2004 front rotors. I can, and will if necessary, purchase new but before I do that, anybody have a set? Not sure if this will work but another possibility is switching out the front fork lowers. Problem with that is, if it would work, I just had these reworked by Cogent in North Carolina. I'd hate to have to take them apart.

Bixxer Bob

Nor sure if they'll fit, other will advise; but if they do be aware that lots of early Girly rotors were prone to warping so not buying new may be false economy.

And checking for runout won't help - mine checked out fine but still pulsed under load.  I switched to EBCs and never looked back.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

cmascr

Thanks, I'm leaning towards the EBCs. Any input on the difference (other than the price) between their Prolite and the standard stainless? I don't ride this bike a lot but when I do it's long and hard, on-road and off. Already ruined one set of cast wheels and dinged the second. Thus the switch to spokes.

Bixxer Bob

I've fitted the stainless variety and don't have any experience of the Prolite.  Be aware, the stainless (not sure about the others) are floating rotors. Mine might be unusual, or they may be typical, but I found to my dismay that they flutter a bit on light braking coming to a stop.  I soon got used to it and now it doesn't bother me, but it was quite a WTF moment the first time. :)
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

If you have decided your in it for the long haul do what Bob has done and go for the full floaters you won't need to buy another pair,I got lucky with my Beringers I was just in the right place at the right time,those EBC's are more than good enough,even if they ain't cheap.

cmascr

Thanks, I ordered the EBC Stainless this morning. I also ordered the Kevlar pads. The one complaint I have with this bike is the brakes. They're fine until you hit wet pavement. Needs ABS. I'll be switching to stainless lines in the next few weeks. Hopefully with the softer pads and steel lines the feel will be less abrupt. Other than that it's a great bike. I appreciate all the input. It helped. :D

Bixxer Bob

My 2005 has steel brakepipes as standard...... :?:

cmascr

Can't explain that. I bought it new. Maybe there's a difference between the US and the UK models? The Tiger wasn't all that popular over here. It's too all and not that great of an off-road bike in it's natural form. So, aftermarket parts are scarce. I actually ordered the engine guards and brush guards from a dealer in the UK. There were some available here but it was cheaper from England and I liked them better than the others. Steel lines and pivot pegz and I'm done. (for now).