News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chains, Whips and other Girly Tips.........................

Started by nadahonda, May 03, 2012, 04:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nadahonda

............................a.k.a: Helping this Dips Trip Rip......................................

Hello, I have made an introduction to the site here:

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,11218&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

The short version: I am a brand new Tiger owner - she's a 2000 900i with close to 15,000 miles.

I am looking for general help with getting to know this new machine, at the moment I have a chain/sprocket question.....

The saga up to this point:

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "nadahonda"Wow, you guys are great! (assuming you are all guys)

Thanks again for all the warm welcomes, you guys make a yank feel right at home....
you are at home
TIGERTRIPLE  is actually USA based , but the membership is GLOBAL

try sticking a pin in the bubbles on the decals then work the air out with the edge of a credit card .

more will show up over time though , whats happening is gas fumes / vapors are leaching thru the plastic tank . and there aint no way to stop it once it starts .
and a black sharpie works real well to hide scratches , but over time the ink fades to the wrong color , and sticks out like a sore thumb. A black paint pen works better.

looking at your pic , your chain is either set way too friggin tight ,or it is completely shot and time for a new one . a new chain that has the right amount of links when adjusted properly will have the axle near the 12 oclock position on the eccentric adjuster.  Which may well solve your sidestand dilemma

Quote from: "nadahonda"Thanks Mustang - I think for now I can live with the paint, but this chain thing...not so much...Having limited experience with chains, I want to make sure it is correct, or that I need a new one....hows it look in this photo.....?

And, lacking a manual, I might need some direction in how to adjust it - I'll go look for a "how-to" in the tech section later.....

Again, I want to thank everyone!

Quote from: "Mustang"even though it looks too loose that is about perfect adjustment for a tiger .

what would concern me is that it could well be stretched out as there is no adjustment left , unless of course someone has put a chain on that is too long  (too many links)
A 2000 885I should have a 116 link chain on it , someone could have easily put a 120 link chain on it though , which would explain the lack of adjustment .

count the links ...........if you have 116 links you need a new chain
if you have 120 links you need to remove 4 links . Unless you have a chain breaker and riveting tool with a new master link , that is a job best left to a dealer .

the sprocket looks like an original equipment one , odds are you are due for a chain and sprocket job . they should always be changed at the same time , new chain = new sprockets

p.s. start a new thread about repairs and questions about repairs in the Girly section .

Quote from: "blacktiger"I think your side stand issue is a combination of the above replies.
Either your chain is knackered or the PO fitted one that is too long. The spindle is normally somewhere in the lower half of the eccentric's travel which has the effect of making the bike sit higher and, therefore, lean further over on the side stand.
Also, as intimated, if the rear preload is set too light, the bike will be sitting lower than normal which has the opposite effect.
The chain on a 955i is 114 links. I'm not absolutely sure but I'd guess at the 885 like yours being the same but Mustang may well be right in saying 116 links. In any case you need to start counting. I'd check on the condition of the front sprocket. If the teeth are pretty straight (not hooked) it's probably an indication that the chain is too long rather than too worn.
If you're 6' I'd guess at you weighing around 180+lbs???? Try the preload on "3".
Best check all that out before chopping bits about.
Oh, and don't tighten those pinch bolts on the eccentrics too much as it has been known to snap the swing arm.

Quote from: "Mustang"steamers = 114 link chain 1993-1998 sprockets 18/48
Girly 885I =116 link chain 1999-2000 sprockets 18/48
Girly 955I = 114 link chain 2001- 2006 sprockets 18/46

it's the sprockets that make the 885 I take a bigger chain
unless you go with a 955 rear sprocket than a 114 will work fine  :wink:

Which brings us to the present - I have counted the links and sprockets, and the numbers are as follows......drum roll please.....

Chain - 118 links

Front Sprocket - 18 teeth

Rear Sprocket - 47 teeth

:icon_scratch

That doesn't match any of those numbers.

So, is this some sort of off-road gearing or something?

The bike seems to run beautifully, there is a little light clacking when first starting out, especially if the engine lugs, but it disappears quickly into pure smoothness....as far as I can understand, this is normal...I also read that it can be chain related....so....????

I also adjusted the rear shock to the suggested level 3, she definitely sits taller, but I am whooped from work today, and didn't go for a ride, I'll find out what the change feels like tomorrow...
"Ride the Tiger. You can see his stripes, but you know he\'s clean"
-Ronnie James Dio -R.I.P-
\\m/(o.o)\\m/
2000 Tiger 885i
1978 Honda CX500

Mustang

well if was in your shoes and not knowing the history of the chain and sprockets ......I myself would buy a new chain and sprocket set for the 2000 tiger
which should be 18 front 48 rear and 116 link chain , it will put your eccentrics where they are supposed to be and you will be trouble free on the chain and sprogs for 10 to 20 k depending on how well you keep em lubed .

18/47 is higher geared than stock but not by much , when you go back to stock gearing you will probably see about 100 -175 rpm increase at 70 mph compared to what you have now .

check the condition of the chain slider when you have the chain done , wouldn't hurt to have a new one on there with a new chain and sprockets .

iansoady

Although we all say the chain should be slacker than Triumph recommend (45-50 mm) that looks ridiculous - and with the adjustment right at the end. Chain too long would be my view.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Ironhorse

I went to the trouble of using a ratchet strap around the seat to compress the rear shock until the three axis's were lined up. I then adjusted the chain until snug. The theoretical perfect adjustment. Then I released the strap and put the bike on the center stand and cut a small piece of wood to fit tightly between the chain and the bottom of the swingarm. I keep that under the seat for future reference. It seemed to help my shudder problem as well. Not gone but improved. Joe