News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Gearing opinions ('00 900i)

Started by davensocal, January 24, 2005, 06:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davensocal

Hey Guys-

Just picked up a used '00 tiger with about 18K on it.  Everything looks and feels good, but I am amazed at the RPM's at highway speeds (5100 rpm @ 70MPH in sixth).  So, I have a couple of questions I was hoping someone might be able to answer..  BTW- looks like it has the performance pipe on it (it is stamped for off road, closed course use only :o)

#1- What are the stock sprockets for this bike?  I thought it should be 18/48.  I verified the rear, still need to check the front.  

#2- What are the opinions re: gearing more for highway use?  Searches here and elsewhere pretty much say to add 1 tooth to the front,  and it should drop about 500rpm on the highway..  I was thinking more like 1000 rpm drop..  any opinions?   Also, in my own defense, all my previous bikes were single cylinders (2 stroke 500s, and 4 stroke 500 & 650), so I am used to a little less RPM.  

Thanks!!

Dave 'N So. Cal.

Chris Canning

When i had my 900i found when traveling Europe it was running it way to close to the red line put a 19 tooth on the front and it made a tremendous difference,i doubt if you'd get anything bigger on,you would have to change the rear but it's very unlikely the motor would pull the extra gearing,the exceleration would be zero.

Strangely enough i've found the 900i with less hp but a tad more torque handled the extra tooth better than my 955 has,when useing the bike locally,i guess because of the higher reving motor that 955 has.

Chris

Patrick the Scot

I like the 955i top end gearing, however for me 1st gear is way to tall. I'm guessing that it is a cassette type transmission; and if so can the first cog be changed out? Easily? :?:
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

ArizonaKid

A 19-tooth front sprocket will drop your rpm's about 500 at 70 mph.  You can get one from your Triumph dealer (Sprint ST's come with 19-tooth sprocket in the front), or from other sources.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

davensocal

Thanks everyone!  

I will try the 19 tooth first and see where it gets me.. I am getting used to the rpms on the tiger more and more...

Quote from: "Patrick the Scot". I'm guessing that it is a cassette type transmission; and if so can the first cog be changed out? Easily? :?:

You'll be lucky!!

Quote from: "Patrick the Scot"I like the 955i top end gearing, however for me 1st gear is way to tall.

Too tall!!??

Maybe if you do a lot of off-road. You could try a 17T sprocket. Then tell us what it's like to loop it. :?

For me, even with a 19T front sprocket, I can still pull away, on the level, in 2nd gear.

Howlin

Probably one of the first things I did on my ol 885 and my 955 was go one over on the c/shaft.Much nicer ride. I also have a 1 under,but I have never tried that one.Might be fun,but highway would be buzzin!:)