News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel Fitting Leak When Disconnected

Started by jwray76, January 17, 2011, 12:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwray76

Took the tank off today to change the coolant and check air filter. Well I was surprised when the fittings just kept leaking when disconnected. It was my understanding that they were valved to turn off when disconnected. Looks like I have the factory recall replacements with anodized male portions and plastic femal portions in the tank.

I read a bit more and it sounds like the replacement male portions do not have the valve in them so I just clamped off the line. The problem child was one of the plastic female fittings did not want to seal. I fiddled with pressing the little valve in a few times but it never wanted to seat properly.

Anyone know a trick to fix the valve so it will close? If not I guess I need to replace the fittings. Otherwise does anyone have any old plastic male pieces they don't need? I could use one of these to plut the connection when removing the tank.

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "jwray76"Anyone know a trick to fix the valve so it will close? If not I guess I need to replace the fittings. Otherwise does anyone have any old plastic male pieces they don't need? I could use one of these to plut the connection when removing the tank.

Hey jwray76 !! do a search for fuel fittings, i would not recommend puttin plastic ones back in  :? the 100% fix is metal male and female !! the leak could be a nipped O ring ( VITON FUEL LINE COUPLING "O-RING" SEALS. )

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

jwray76

Thanks KuzzinKenny. I have searched and am aware of the fix by replacing with metal. The problem I am experiencing could occur with metal as well though. Was wondering if someone knows how to fix the shutoff valve for when they are disconnected.

iansoady

It sounds as though the valve in the female connector is sticking. Replacing with the proper metal coupling would sort this out - if you do the proper valved couplings in the line as well you won't need to mess about clamping them.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

notch

I know this thread is old but thought I would post what I learned for anyone else who is looking for an answer to the leaky female dry break fitting. When I recently removed a broken female fitting I took it apart (OK, well it came apart when I cut it in half to remove it) and found the plunger has an o-ring on the ball at the end. Likely that this was the root cause of the leak in this instance. If the fitting is plastic then spend the $25 to replace the fittings with metal.