News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New Tiger Article

Started by Patrick the Scot, January 15, 2005, 06:19:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick the Scot

Check out the new Tiger article (cover story) in Rider magazine, Feb '05 issue
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

SIBBO

Damn why cant the British mags do something like that...........I mean the Bloody thing is made here after all, all they want to do here is push all the jap crap :evil:

robbo

Spill the beans, what do they say about it. We cant get that mag in the uk as far as I know.
best Regards

Robbo

Patrick the Scot

I will definitely post a comprehensive review by Sunday PM.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

robbo

Patrick,

I have to ask... why Patrick the scot.?
best Regards

Robbo

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "robbo"Spill the beans, what do they say about it. We cant get that mag in the uk as far as I know.

Alrighty then, here we go.  

About the Magazine. The mag "Rider" is an excellent publication that focuses on motorcycle riding and touring. (novel concept, huh?)  They do the following sections in almost every issue: letters, tech pages, bike comparos, rider tests, nostalgia collectable reviews, safety strategies, gadgets, destinations (museums and such) favorite rides, rallies and clubs, long term bike reviews, ride reports that highlight the best motorcycle routes in North America, and accessory review.  Not much in this mag about racing motorcycles such as you find in Cycleworld.  Also, not much in this mag about motorcycle posing like you find in most custom bike and Harley mags.

The article on the Tiger was a very predictable read as it told me nothing new. Not much new, anyhoo.  Obviously I own a Tiger and could have written the article myself.  However, I did think it was a fair piece that was politely non-committal.  (Non-committal because a critic has to be. The old question "What is the world's single greatest work of art?" can not be answered as all great works of art are considered by the same basic citieria, such as formal elements, yet each has a seperate place in history and an individual relevance to the viewer and culture that can not be judged critically.  The same seems to be true with motos, and I think the writer knows this and wisely reserved a final "good" or "bad" determination for the Tiger.)

It is a basic ride review. The writer put on about 1000 miles on the clock and started by saying that the Tiger could not be placed in any one category.  Good call. Right out of the box it is stated that it is a more streetable version of a GS. Read between the lines and this could mean that it is less dirt worthy than the GS. Bill Stermer (the author) then proceeds to explicitly detail the dimensions and chasis changes for '05.

"After putting more than a 1000 miles on the new Tiger, I can assure you of one thing - the bike offers a tremendous fun factor. It reminds me a great deal of - and compares favorably with - the Suzuki V-Strom DL 1000." writes Stermer.  He goes on to praise the power of the 955i triple.  He details the riding position and says "anyone who has ridden a dual-sport can affirm, this position is excellent for tight winding roads: the rider has a good view from this perch and excellent leverage on the bar. With a little weight shift to help the bike into turns, a skilled Tiger tamer can give sportbikes a run for the money."

He goes on and on about the brakes and front suspension.  He says that they are good but could be better.  (So could my wife, but I'm still with her after 12.5 years) Stermer absolutely loves the Anakees. So do I.  

He also likes the transmission and gives it an A+ rating saying "The Tiger's six speed transmission shifts quickly, easily, and with only a slight bit of notchiness. It is just below the ultimate praise of '"it shifts like a Japenese bike."'  Go ahead and say that about a GS, and I'll tell you that you haven't ridden one. However, in the same section, Stermer really rails on the lack of engine protection. He also is absolutely dumb founded that any manufacturer seriously would bolt a bash plate to the headers. ???? I must say he has a point there.

The author references the GS and DL as wonderful fun.  He says "and so it is with the Tiger...Start with excellent power, add great shifting, stir in decent braking and the solid feeling Anakees, and the Tiger can really motor through a series of turns"

He sums up with this: So how do we slice the Triumph Tiger? If your're looking for a true adventure tourer with suitable rough road handling  and engine protection, we'd suggest that other models are more suitable. However, if you want a great back-road, and dirt-road-traveling bike at a great price, we strongly suggest you take a Tiger by the tail.

There were eleven nice pictures, spec page, and Dyno run chart.  All in all a good read and mostly accurate.

Hope this helps.

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "robbo"Patrick,

I have to ask... why Patrick the scot.?

Robbo, since you asked so I'll tell you, but not with out reservation. To start with it is just a handle on the internet and radio.  Yet at the same time it does refer to my identity. But, before I tell you why "Patrick the Scot" let me preface with the following.

In the States we are all Americans. However, most people have a tight famliy unit from whence they came, and in proud and strong families it is quite common here in the States' culture to not only consider yourself an American, but to identify with your family ethnic heritage.  "Our people are German" a tall, strong, Iowa farmer might say.  You see, he is not just an American, not just an Iowan, not just a farmer, but he is all three of these, while being of German descent. The farmer in this case believes that his family heritage is something to be proud of, and he will work harder than the average chump to prove that the mythical Teutonic mind and body is superior.  Consequently, after a lifetime of believeing and acting that he is superior to non-germanic farm families, he is a very successful farmer.

It is almost required, here in America, to give ones ethnic origin from time to time in order to prove your genetic worth.  If it worth proving.  A fellow might claim to be Italian if he was seriously trying to make it in New York City as a construction contractor. Why? Because that is the ethnic group that historically has controlled certain parts of the construction trades in NYC. If you were a diamond broker in NYC, no doubt you would want to be Jewish.  And an orthodox-looking one at that.  Many ethnic groups in America to this day have not assimilated completely.  I grew up in small towns in Upper State New York and Vermont and in these towns we had the a Polish, Irish, and Italian sections and then everybody else.  The people of these wards were very proud of there heritage and continue certain customs from the old Country to this day.

So, that said, I must  answer why "Patrick the Scot"

I do not have any family here in the States.  I am a first-generation Amercian on my fathers side.  (My mother is only a second generation Texan whose family immigrated to Texas from The Netherlands, but for this excercise we will focus only on the paternal side, as is usually the case)  My great-great-great Grandfather was Isaac Hodgson from Northumberland County, England.  He moved to the Scottish side of the border and took a wife Jane Cullum.  In 1850 he got a land grant from the Queen and move to southwest Ontario, Canada.  It was in Canada where my next three grandfathers took Scottish wives from the farm country in which they lived. Names like McIntyre, McInnis, McCloud were all bred out by the Hodgson seed.  Yet, that is what I am: a descendant of a bunch of hard-nosed God-fearing Scots with an English name.  

Many of the Hodgsons in SW Ontario were in the construction trades and contracting, and many of there buildings still stand to this day, all across Canada. Go to Forest, Ontario, Canada and you will see the Banc of Canada building built in 1887 still in use today. It is still as straight, square, plumb, and level as the day they left it back in 1887.  I am myself in the constuction trades, and like my example of the german farm boy, I feel I have an obligation to live up to the level of integrity and self respect of my ancestors, at least when I build a building.  

Here in the States I have no family to speak of, so I don't identify with any ethnic groups here in Texas.  I am, however, mindful of the long lineage of craftsmen from which I come, real men, who knew right from wrong, and good construction practice from bad.  It is not something that I advertise but something that motivates me to build a better building, a little better that anyone around me.

So, here on the world wide wed I proudly take the name "Patrick the Scot." Let it be known that that name is one of strength, integrity, and an iron will...!

greg

I have made a mental note not to ask an american this kind of question in the future! :lol:
2004 Girly.

robbo

phew, I only asked... :lol:
best Regards

Robbo

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "greg"I have made a mental note not to ask an american this kind of question in the future! :lol:

Sorry for being so long winded, Gregg.  :)

I could have answered some thing like "family heritage" and left it at that. However, it is 20 F here on the highplains so riding the Tiger is out, (except for hardcore dudes such as Ridin Gaijin) and I can't stand numbing out in front of the idiot box.  That being the case I went a ahead and gave you all an unnecessaryily long answer to a very short question.   :-#

greg

I'm not sure I have sympathy for you with the weather seeing as it is a typical miserable cold wet grey winter here in the uk, just say if you want to swap.
2004 Girly.

greg

I'm not sure I have sympathy for you with the weather seeing as it is a typical miserable cold wet grey winter here in the uk, just say if you want to swap.
2004 Girly.

tri99sprint

Patrick the Scott, great explination of your web name. When we meet in Prescott, over a few beers, we'll chat about our backgrounds, then have some more ales, or stouts.

Chuck the Brit. From Newcastle-under-Lyme
Chuck

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "tri99sprint"Patrick the Scott, great explination of your web name. When we meet in Prescott, over a few beers, we'll chat about our backgrounds, then have some more ales, or stouts.

Chuck the Brit. From Newcastle-under-Lyme

Chuck the Brit; thanks for the patiences with my proclivity for excessive explanation.

I was just looking up the RAT Raid schedules in the latest Torque issue and I assume that Prescott is the Red Rocks Raid at Sedona, AZ ?  Is Sedona and Prescott one in the same?  I am planning on attending Red Rocks  and/or Western Rat Rally in Steamboat Springs.  I sure do look forward to cracking the top off a Guinness with ya!

tri99sprint

Patrick, yes the Red Rocks/Prescott/Sedona are the same thing. I am also planning on being at Steamboat, I went last year, and had a grand old time!.

You can download the entry apps from TriumpfRAT.net

See you there.
Chuck