News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Newbie, suspension.

Started by Black TRH, September 21, 2004, 05:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black TRH

Had my "2000 model Tiger a week now. Wow. You can keep your sports bikes from now on.

One problem, bike did not come with user manual. I understand that the rear suspension can be adjusted in two ways preload and dampening. I can only find the adjuster at the base of the shock. Where is the other adjuster. The rear suspension feels kind of soft and can get quite hairy if lent over too far on corners. Had to sit it up on more than one occasion. Is this normal or do I have the wrong suspension settings.

HELP!

robbo

the other adjuster is at the top of the shocker, under the seat.

the top is the pre-load and the bottom is the rebound damping

the setting go from

2 top 6 bottom = soft

to

5 top 3 bottom = hard

setting are from an 04 Tiger, hope this helps.
best Regards

Robbo

robbo

Quote from: "Black TRH"The rear suspension feels kind of soft and can get quite hairy if lent over too far on corners. Had to sit it up on more than one occasion. Is this normal or do I have the wrong suspension settings.

HELP!

Meant to say about your other question, there was a conversation some time ago about scraping pegs. Many people including myself have managed it on a tiger without any lowering of suspension or any other modifications.

This in mind I would say that it is not normal for you to have to stand the bike up in corners. Check the settings and if they are ok check the shocks. Tigers can do huge distances over all terrain, much fun but not so good for the life of the shockers
best Regards

Robbo

Brock

More importantly Black TRH, WELCOME. From your comments you've made the same discovery that we all have. Sports bikes? PAH!
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

robbo

Ho ye sorry, didnÌt mean to be ignorant, welcome to the gang.

robbo
best Regards

Robbo

Black TRH

Adjusted suspension. Set preload to just over 4. What a difference. I can now throw it into corners just like my old Fazer. Just how much fun did god intend whilst keeping your clothes on.

Thanks for the welcome and advice. Will be logging on regularly from now on. Site at top of my favourites list.

Happy tigering.

GlenWatt

Quote from: "robbo"the other adjuster is at the top of the shocker, under the seat.

the top is the pre-load and the bottom is the rebound damping

the setting go from

2 top 6 bottom = soft

to

5 top 3 bottom = hard

setting are from an 04 Tiger, hope this helps.

Silly question time.

On the rebound settings page in the manual it quotes turns out from fully in (hardest), is # of turns correct or is it # of clicks out ?

Reason I ask is that I don't think mine would be able to make 6 full turns out in total.
Glen

Email - mailto:glen@watt.me.uk\">glen@watt.me.uk  

\"The Aussies call us Boring... we prefer World Champions\"

robbo

glen,

its # clicks out. EG turn it clockwise until it stops then turn it # clicks anticlockwise for the setting you want.

ItÌs a bit of trial and error unless you are 6 foot 5 or above. Im 5.10 and find if I set the suspension to hard it makes the bike to tall and is a pain in the ass when stopping on anything other that a very flat surface. I almost tipped it one day because I had to stand on my toes and couldnÌt get a proper grip on the ground.
best Regards

Robbo

GlenWatt

thanks for the quick reply.

Nice to get my guess confirmed.

It's not often I'm right, ask the wife ..... :D
Glen

Email - mailto:glen@watt.me.uk\">glen@watt.me.uk  

\"The Aussies call us Boring... we prefer World Champions\"

ridin gaijin

Welcome aboard!--and, Happy Tigering!

:D
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

Patrick the Scot

QuoteOn the rebound settings page in the manual it quotes turns out from fully in (hardest), is # of turns correct or is it # of clicks out ?

I had the same cussing match with my owners manual.  It seems that clicks and turns are interchangable.  I figured it out, as you can only get about 2.5 turns (360 degrees) total, top to bottom.  The factory tech publication crew really ought to revisit the word choice here.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

The factory tech publication crew really ought to revisit the word choice here.[/quote]

Agree totally. They made me take the fairing off to adjust the head lights because they labelled the adjusters back to front. IDIOTS!

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "Blacktiger"Agree totally. They made me take the fairing off to adjust the head lights because they labelled the adjusters back to front. IDIOTS!

Is it possible that they have subcontracted the tech writing and/or printing out to another country such as Sri Lanka or some other dirthole; and then some semantic application is lost in the process? I mean half of the US companie's customer service departments have been shipped over to India or or Malaysia where they will work for a 1.75 bowls of rice (or deep fried cat) per day.  Maybe Triumph has done the same with the technical writing department?

Much like reading the assembly instructions on a piece of low-grade machinery from China, it is a goddang riddle!
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

PaulBerg

errr.. so how do you adjust the headlights without taking the cockpit fairing off ?

Paul

Quote from: "PaulBerg"errr.. so how do you adjust the headlights without taking the cockpit fairing off ?

Paul

Read the owners handbook whilst holding it upside down.