News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Welding broken engine mounts

Started by Rocinante, May 03, 2012, 11:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocinante

Pretty much. Did you download the image of the net?  :wink:

Bruken, me thinks it´s gonna be fine, but I have a hat if need be...
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

Mustang

no I took that of one I worked on , you are not the only tiger rider that doesn't know what lack of grease and broken nipples cause

Bixxer Bob

I'm hoping he lined up the lug holes before he started - on one long shaft or similar - if not any mis-alignment is going to put strain on those welds.  And did he finish it with a chisel?  

Sorry, don't want to appear uncharitable as he's done a fair job where most wouldn't even try, just concerned you get a lasting solution.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Rocinante

Lined up all right, weld is solid as a rock, and the effort was put in making it solid rather than beautiful. I have no doubt it will outlast any other part of the bike. Big words I know, but I feel pretty confident. This guy welds engine mounts for a living, among other things. (hat is kept close just in case though)

Stop worrying guys and rather tell me the best internet source for a complete bearing and spacer set for the shock linkage?
www.dagjen.no

Rocinante

Thanks. I found a local supplier for the bearings, the rest comes from my Triumph dealer. In the end the price wash´t that much different from overseas, for once.
www.dagjen.no

Mustang

Hi Dag
I have replaced the whole unit with used from a breaker on ones I have repaired ....it's a lot cheaper and easier than replacing all of the bearings .
Find a low mileage wreck ....... thunderbirds use the same suspension link as the tiger , I think trophys and sprints do too .
Last one I did cost me 30 bucks from ebay (was a tbird part from a 5000 mile wreck bike )......replacing the bearings would have been well over a hundred plus time and labor .

BruKen

Quote from: "Rocinante"Lined up all right, weld is solid as a rock, and the effort was put in making it solid rather than beautiful. I have no doubt it will outlast any other part of the bike. Big words I know, but I feel pretty confident. This guy welds engine mounts for a living, among other things. (hat is kept close just in case though)

Stop worrying guys and rather tell me the best internet source for a complete bearing and spacer set for the shock linkage?

I just enjoy passing on my natural inclination towards pessimism. Why I wasnt impressed, he's layered the weld without much penetration from what I can see. As to it's strength fit for purpose I cannot comment, but ask any welder, they always eyeball another's weld jobs. just cant help it :oops:

Rocinante

Quote from: "BruKen"I just enjoy passing on my natural inclination towards pessimism. Why I wasnt impressed, he's layered the weld without much penetration from what I can see.

They have been built up more or less from scratch. Can you explain in layman´s terms what you mean by "without much penetration"?

Found this item, a pity he ships to the US only. It´s for a Legend 2000, but the numbers are identical, so it would work:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Triumph-Le ... 690wt_1180
www.dagjen.no

BruKen

Quote from: "Rocinante"They have been built up more or less from scratch. Can you explain in layman´s terms what you mean by "without much penetration"?

Weld penetration is how deep into the parent metal the weld goes and is a factor of how many amps (heat as you said) is put in. The ideal weld should be close to 100% i.e. if you were welding metal sheet you would see on the underside the weld penetration. The more the penetration (generally speaking) the more the parent material and weld filler bond (fusion zone) and hence a stonger weld.

It doesnt help layering huge amounts of weld to build up the mount if the "foundation" of that original penetration isnt there. If you look at the offset brackets you can see there is practically no penetration, in fact the surface wasnt even prepared

Rocinante

OK thanks for the info. However, since this guy is well known for being among the best there is, I simply choose to thrust him when he claims the mounts are stronger than ever before...:)
www.dagjen.no

BruKen

Absolutely, I deliberately mentioned I wasn't necessarily passing judgement on fitness for purpose, only on the method. Short of an ultrasound or X-ray only time will prove or disprove that.

Rocinante

Engine´s back in the frame, only the lower bolts are still not in place. I did it by myself, using a hydraulic motorcycle lift (the one that goes under the engine). Without the swing arm, rear wheel and the shock link, it wash´t too hard. The lower holes are lined up and will be done tonight.

As for the rest, all the broken needle bearings (12 of them :oops:) are arriving tomorrow, and a good friend who is a teacher in a tech school, will fit them back in in their workshop. I´m glad I didn´t have to do that by myself.

Well, lesson learned I guess, that being a "ride til it breaks" kind of rider has it´s price. :roll:

By the way, the teacher recently converted from 20 years of Meridien Triumphs to a 2009 Bonneville, which made him a Hinckley fan overnight. I test rode his bike and boy that was fun. What a great ride...
www.dagjen.no

Rocinante

A bit of confusion here today. This is the connecting rod connection point on the swingarm, seen upside down. There seems to be nothing but the bearing and the seal that holds against the bolt head on the outer side.

Me feeling confused and inadequate? Anybody?

PS Old sleeve, seal and bearing here, not received the new parts yet.
www.dagjen.no

Mustang