News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger playing up...

Started by Champy, May 28, 2012, 09:54:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HockleyBoy

Quote from: "Champy"Anyway, it is booked in for a diagnostic check and re-map, and at £65/hour, I hope it is just a re-map at i/2 hour... :cry:

Makes buying the cable (about £10) and downloading TuneECU (free) pretty worthwhile!
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Champy"Well... spoke to Mr Triumph dealer, and he says there may be some mechanical adjustment on the stepper motor. I can't see how...
Anyway, it is booked in for a diagnostic check and re-map, and at £65/hour, I hope it is just a re-map at i/2 hour... :cry:

The important part is doing your homework on the dealer,has he been around a decent length of time,Triumphs are oddities you need someone who knows the ropes.

I've neither shimmed or remapped mine,it's the only Tiger I've got so I've no idea if it's any better or worse than others.

I used Windy Corner for years,during that time I've lost track of how many Triumph dealers have come and gone in B'Ham,then a few years back a new dealer turned,stuck with WC knowing full well that Triumph would pull the plug on e'm and by which time Pure Triumph were up and running had some idea what they were doing,cost me £17 quid to have a map put in,way to buzzy at first but has settled down now,one of the few times I ever bumped into retail  :(

Champy

What cable do I need? USB to D type? Is there a part number somewhere?
Triumph want £60 for a small D type to large D type connector cable which I think is the right one, or £103 for another kind.  :o

Or is there a pin out diagram so I can make one up? Also, if you can email me the tune, will that do the TCP and Idle Control?

So many questions - sorry!  :?
You need to scare yourself at least once a day.

metalguru

It's a lot of reading but read the thread on TuneEcu, the cable is a cheap OBD11 cable and a laptop is needed. TBH it is best to do some reading before going near your bike and changing any values, it is very easy to brick the ECU or damage the settings, it goes without saying that help is always at hand.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Marc

Quote from: "metalguru"it goes without saying that help is always at hand.

great guys those Triumph riders  :thumbsup
Tiger Explorer Graphite 2013
Bonneville SE 2010 (missus)
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

Champy

OK. New thoughts.

When the engine died after running it for a while, there was a loud click from under the tank - the stepper motor I would suppose.

Could it be that the stepper motor is sticking? I merely cleaned the head without any fluids etc., but could there be just a chance that it is really as simple as sticking?

Or could it be the remap and tune will sort it?

Thought I'd ask before taking it into a dealer who will charge a fortune to remove/refit the tank and ancillaries just to free up the stepper motor.  :?
You need to scare yourself at least once a day.

John Stenhouse

Could be, but I don't think there very user servicible. I seem to remember  bixxer taking his apart with disasterous results.

You could try some silicone spray lube, I know that works well for plastic.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Bixxer Bob

John's right, my dissassembled itself all over the garage.  You can cycle it with TunECU and listen for it moving. It should be smooth. Don't cycle it off the bike, that's the mistake I made.

I wouldn't use lube either, maybe silicone polish but nothing thats going to attract dirt or  fill up the very small clearance between the piston and the body. Remember, the gap is supposed to be pretty much airtight, so it's very very small.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...