News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Help 885i wont start..good battery and lights etc??

Started by colabear, May 28, 2012, 11:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colabear

Hi guys

i went to my 2001 x plate tiger 885i this morning and it wont start... it wont even turn over.

it has been stood for 3 weeks in my garage whilst on hols and before that it was fine.

the battery has been on optimate and has plenty of juice, all the ignition lights come on but the starter doesnt even click, when you press the start switch the lights dim down as if the starter is drawing power but it does not click or spin over.

the only noise i can here is a faint relay click behind the speedo on the left.

I pull the clutch in, tried with side stand in and out also flicked the kill switch a few times but nothing??

is the starter motor at fault.?? never ever had a problem before.  

any help or places to look would be greatly appreciated or i will end up paying big garage bills

John Stenhouse

My guess would be where you have looked already. That is the kill switch and the sidestand and clutch switches. WD40 all those switches and work them on and off.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

metalguru

Also have a look at the starter solenoid just by the battery box, you should get a click from this when you press the start button. As John mentioned though, there are interlocks to make before this energises.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

iansoady

I'd check the battery connections and also that the battery hasn't died on you.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Chris Canning

Quote from: "iansoady"I'd check the battery connections and also that the battery hasn't died on you.

And me too,whilst it could be anything,folk never give batteries the attention and respect they deserve,I've had a battery drop off a cliff at Portsmouth docks after a 175mile gung ho ride and just because they've been on an Optimate doesn't mean they are a dead cert to be full of beans.

If you have a Yuasa or Odyssey battery you can normally expect a decent life 4 years'ish but even that isn't set in stone,the cheaper stuff after a couple of years your out on the plank as to how long it will last.

colabear

thanks guys.. the ignition lights are all nice and bright as are all the headlights etc.. im 99% confident the battery is ok, the kill switch also seems to cut the power and bring it back as you work the switch.

you mention clutch and side stand switches..where are they so i can wd40 them??

thanks for any help, really need her working again tomorrow...

Mustang

Quote from: "colabear"you mention clutch and side stand switches..where are they so i can wd40 them??

ummm keeping smartass answers to my self ,you wouldn't suppose they might be on the clutch lever and at the top of the sidestand would you ?

colabear

thanks mustang.. if you could think of the least mechanically minded person you know, he would be one rung higher on the ladder than me!!!

i will lube up the sensors and report back... thanks so far guys

PeteH

Where in the UK colabear?

No clicking at the solenoid would indicate a fault in clutch switch circuit, well it did on my 99 885i. So check the connector block from the clutch switch, just at the top of the left fork....I had a dodgy cable/ blade interface.

Also, sometimes mine wont fire up if the light switch is on.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

colabear

well the clutch switch movesz fine as does the stand switch... if you try and start it without the clutch depressed a green relay clicks behind the dash, when you depress it there is no click and the ignition lights dim slightly..

where is the starter motor on these to check that??

PeteH

Quote from: "colabear"where is the starter motor on these to check that??

Check for juice at the starter solenoid, its located behind the frame at the rear of the battery box...best with the seat off. If nothing there when starter thumbed you need to trace back....possibly to what I suggested in my last post.

Also, try disconnecting the clutch switch from the loom and check for continuity when operated.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

colabear

aha!!!

removed battery and box, banged what i think is the solenoid, wiggled the wires and we're going again!!  thanks guys

pineygroveshop

Does the Steamer have the same battery box mounted main fuse as the Girly?  If so, visually check the fuse for deformation.
Cheers,
Stephen

metalguru

Quote from: "colabear"aha!!!

removed battery and box, banged what i think is the solenoid, wiggled the wires and we're going again!!  thanks guys

Good news,
The cables that are attached to the solenoid (large battery sized) by wiggling them proves there is a bad connection there, they need to be disconnected and cleaned up/greased as the problem will return if not done. There is also some smaller cables there that need the same treatment.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

pineygroveshop

Well then, that should be a cheap fix.
Cheers,
Stephen