News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Boogggggg 98 Steamer.

Started by Papalobster, May 22, 2012, 03:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PompeyLad

I need to pick Mustangs brain here. A '95 with Mikunis. I suspect the pilots, especially after reading this thread, Idles fine, some hesitation from idle and what feels like a vibration up to just about 3000 then it smooths out and pulls like a train. The sensation below 3000 is akin to a slipping clutch but it only feels like that. Like I said, pretty sure it is the pilots but always good to get another brain involved.   :D

BruKen

Quote from: "PompeyLad"I need to pick Mustangs brain here. A '95 with Mikunis. I suspect the pilots, especially after reading this thread, Idles fine, some hesitation from idle and what feels like a vibration up to just about 3000 then it smooths out and pulls like a train. The sensation below 3000 is akin to a slipping clutch but it only feels like that. Like I said, pretty sure it is the pilots but always good to get another brain involved.   :D

Too rich. Does your choke assembly stick at all?  Brown smoke when you blip the throttle?

Mustang

if it is indeed too rich you will see black soot all over the tailpipe ends , and it could be the orings on the float assembly's leaking causing it to run rich

or it could be you need some carb 101 maintenance(plugged pilots )

mikunis are more finicky than the keihins .but when they are right I think they are smoother and faster than the keihins , .......just by my seat of the pants dyno

start here http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

PompeyLad

Cheers guys. While I have them out I will check the chokes but I think they are ok. The O rings are all good. (At least they better be seeing as they are not but 18 months old.) Can't get around to pulling the carbs until next week sometime but I will let you know what results. :icon_salut

Papalobster

Looks like my pilot jet was crushed into the carb tube a bit. The emulsion tube has been squished on one for sure. Can anyone supply the Keihin part #'s? I see an N424-21 and N424-26 I have #40's in. Every online retailer shows a different end between the 2 but the threads seem like they are the same.

nightrunner

He said in the OP it idles fine.  Mine wont even start when the pilots are plugged.  And like others I have to pull the carbs and clean the pilots each spring.  Seems to me that if it idles, especially if it idles OK when warmed up, then it could not possibly be the pilots.   FWIW my coils decided to fail during a winter hibernation many years back.  I thought it was carb problems and it drove me nuts cleaning them over and over again.  The bike would start and run OK until warmed up.  Then it would stumble and cough when revved up.  I eventually found out about the junk GIL coils and switched to the TT600 stick coils.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

Mustang

Quote from: "Papalobster"Looks like my pilot jet was crushed into the carb tube a bit.
:icon_scratch

Quote from: "nightrunner"Mine wont even start when the pilots are plugged.  And like others I have to pull the carbs and clean the pilots each spring.

SEA FOAM it just plain works .......all 4 tiggers have the same problem every spring ,
I haven't taken a carb apart in the last 4 years except to undo jetting nightmares on other peoples fiascos .

Papalobster

The -21 is 28mm long, the -26 is 23.6mm long they are both the same otherwise, but they are used interchageably in different online catalogs.

Some have the flange on the end as seen here, some have straight tubes.

I'm guessing, seeing as how mine crushed, I need the shorter ones.

I drilled out the emulsion holes with a wire drill bit onthe squished one, reassemblesd the carbs, welded up the aircleaner housing cracks, and rode the durn thing to work today.

Now I need an air filter as the foam in mine was coming apart a bit.

PompeyLad

Update on my 95 with mikunis. Carbs are all nice and clean. I suspect it may be a dodgy piece of equipment with the word GILL on it.  :?   Just waiting on it's replacement.    :)