News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

My motor disintegrated

Started by treewright, June 01, 2012, 06:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treewright

Just put in new sintered front pads took it for a spin, reasonably quickly then lots of grating banging and oil thrown over my right leg and boot! Result big hole in crankcase between oil feed, sprag and alternator. Not happy tigger:-/
Luckily I found a t300 Daytona engine on e bay. It's from a triumph officianado with sprag cover. What do I need to watch out for and how to change engine? What horses is the Daytona lump?
1983 landrover 110 3.5 turbo diesel,yamaha xt600 tenere 1987,triumph tiger 885 carb 94,95?

Mustang

any of the t309 t409 motors will bolt right in , worst case is you have to swap the shifting drum to have the gear pattern correct for the tigger .

not  alot more than the tigger it will work fine as is and if you get an igniter for the daytona you gain a little top end I believe

treewright

Quote from: "Mustang"any of the t309 t409 motors will bolt right in , worst case is you have to swap the shifting drum to have the gear pattern correct for the tigger .

not  alot more than the tigger it will work fine as is and if you get an igniter for the daytona you gain a little top end I believe
Engine is complete with ancillaries and is a T309 with 19500mls under its belt. Paid £370 looks clean. Thanks mustang sounds good.
1983 landrover 110 3.5 turbo diesel,yamaha xt600 tenere 1987,triumph tiger 885 carb 94,95?

rybes

thats bad luck bout ya motor mate. glad ya managed to find one quick.  :wink:
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

treewright

Quote from: "rybes"thats bad luck bout ya motor mate. glad ya managed to find one quick.  :wink:
Yeah not good, but may be that it was going to happen somewhen, waterproofed one boot instantly! I'll try posting a pic of the damage but it looks like catastrophic sprag clutch failure

treewright

Conrod let go through head feed oil gallery ouch!!!!

treewright

All sorted now apart from pi--ing the missus off running it to temperature. It's a t309 motor with sprag cover and burbles far nicer than the 45k motor did only downside is that it is 5 speed but I Believe this is not necessarily true? Mileage under 20k the oil and filter were  nice and clean so had a good outcome all round now I know what a nice engine should sound like!!! :0) The chap I bought the bike off said everything was worn out ie tyres pads and it turned out front sprocket the previous owner must have just ignored it, rode it then sold it. It always had an oil leak around the rear sprocket, I think the said previous owner ran it low on oil and cooked the small ends, me being a novice to steamers thought cam chain probs and it was really small end rattle!! The rear sprocket and chain are good, front looked shark finned with the links bottoming. Twat couldn't change the sprocket and seal. End of it is I've got a 5 speed removable sprag engine with 19000 on it, I guess it's a speed triple motor, put it in changed over ignition pick up fired immediately. So I'm hoping I've got a spare motor and ancillaries less 1 rod and top crankcase cover with a 6 speed box .