News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sprocket Combinations

Started by nd4spd, May 30, 2012, 02:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nd4spd

I'm due to replace the chain and sprockets and I did a search to determine what the "stock" sprockets are on an '06 Girly - found that to be 18/46.  However, I keep stumbling across the 19/43 combination...  I guess I'm wondering how that combination came about - I don't want to make a mistake by changing the ratios...  It I were to go w/ the 19/43, do I need a different chain too?

THX!

Mustang

a 18/46 combo(stock OEM config) gives a final drive ratio of 2.56:1

a 19/43 combo gives a final ratio of 2.26:1

a 19/43 combo alters  the gear ratio by almost 12 %
12% is going to drop approx. 500 to 600  rpm at a 65mph cruising speed

the 19/43 combo requires a chain that is two links shorter than stock , although you should still be able to adjust the slack out of the std. length chain

some interesting reading here
http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/motorcy ... tmath.html

nd4spd

Thanks Mustang for the info!  I'm still wondering if it's worth making the change - I am riding from WI to AK this Aug and w/ all that highway in between it sounds like a good option.  But w/ the weight of the gear and the numerous mountain passes, I hope it's the right set-up...

Mark

Chris Canning

I've run 19/46 almost from the day I bought my 955 and the 885i before,putting a 19t engine sprocket on you get a marginal drop off on the lower engine revs and exceleration,you can get that back with a pipe/map/can/airbox mod which brings the whole thing back to square one with less revs and just as much go,my tiger has a great motor but with a 43 rear on as well,that gearing would absolutely kill it for anything more than motorway/autoroute/freeway what ever you want to call it,and even then mine isn't happy in top at anything less than 70mph with a 43 you'll be on the way to 80 so 6th is just an overdrive.

I put a 19 on the 885i just to give the motor a rest as it redlines a 1000 less than a 955 the motor and at any kind of decent cruising speed was way to close to the redline.

cosmo

Love the 19/43.

Bit of a clutch slip going up REALLY steep hills, loaded, nothing Tigger can't manage.

Mine's a stocker with 37K on her.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

AK Tiger

A +1 on the 19/43.  Like Cosmo said, you might have to slip the clutch a bit but that's nothing compared to the more relaxed crusing rpm.  This is the second Girly that I've changed to 19/43 with a combined 81K miles, many of those miles being 2 up.
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger
2002 Tiger (Deceased - Killed by a suicidal caribou)