News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Very hacked off indeed.

Started by mikeybikey57, June 10, 2012, 08:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Quote from: "iansoady"
Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"If you don't get satisfaction, complain to Triumph direct.

I did that about a (now defunct) local dealer and just received an anodyne letter thanking me for my interest.

I've posted before about dealing direct with Triumph,they wouldn't admit what day of the week it was,never mind anything else.

As for a 6 year old bike being obsolete,well yea it is,welcome to modern day biking,I had a conversation with a sales guy yesterday( I know him well as a mate) and he was saying it's all but impossible to sell a new bike without ABS,after I'd recovered from the shock,his reply thats your modern day biker for you,gulp  :(

Bixxer Bob

You might remember me working on an alarm that toasted itself on my mate's Sprint. you couldn't wash the acrid smell of your hands for weeks. Hewrote a brief summary of hisdealer's shortcomings and put it in a jiffy bag along with the stinky alarm and addressed it personal and private for Mr Bloor.

Hewas phoned by Triumphs head of customer relations and told his bike would be picked up, given a full inspection, all faults found would be corrected and it would be given a full service. It came back like a new bike.

I'd call that a result :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

When my 6 week old 885i went belly up and clearly it was going to be handbags at dawn with Triumph I go into the dealer see the sales guy who I knew away from the shop,he tells me that they(Triumph) have already checked on me,did I have the bike on HP(in other words was I hard up) I paid cash,and did I have another bike(so I'd be desperate to get back on the road) I had an FJ1200,and I'd made it clear if it took 12 months to sort out then so be it,another new bike turn up 3 weeks later,but I was never happy dealing with them.

When it comes to warranty BMW are light years in front of anyone else,of course you have to ask the reason why!!!!!

mikeybikey57

Latest update...........My local dealer ended up keeping my tigger in their workshop until yesterday evening, before finally contacting me to say they'd sorted it out.
The service manager also told me that they'd noticed that one of the bolts that secures the fuel pump/filter plate to the tank was missing, when they got it back this time around. He did acknowledge that as they'd been the last ones to work on the bike, then that was down to them...........no shit Sherlock!.
When I collected it this morning, he added that the bolt wasn't actually missing but the head had actually sheared off! (.....in a plastic tank at a torque setting of only 8Nm?)

Anyhow, went out to the bike to start her up and......................it sounded as though it was running on two cylinders again. I instantly assumed that they hadn't managed to fix it again and began having a bit of a major league rant at anyone in the vicinity. I eventually noticed that it'd started to settle down somewhat and the tickover slowly evened out into an steady rhythm as the bike began to warm up. (Impatient?..... Moi?)

A subsequent 10 mile test ride has suggested that all is now as it should be, as she pulls with her usual enthusiasm from idle and is smooth right up the rev range. No more fluffing or bogging down a low revs either. Whoop de bloody doo!!!

I sincerely hope this is now the end of the whole effing debacle and I can now get on with just riding my tigger and enjoying it again. The dealer acknowledged that the problem was one of their making right from the outset and to be fair, did all they could to sort out the problem. Had they not been as such, this situation could have been much worse, in terms of time, money and general inconvenience.

I still am very much of the view however, that the factory technician was either ill informed or out of his depth and should have been able to get it spot on from the outset. The dealers and possibly Triumph's working practices regarding "older bikes", is to me at least, unacceptable and it's for that reason, I will never take my bike to them again.
There\'s no point in worrying about life, because you\'ll never get out of it alive.

Spud

Mickey PM sent cheers Spud  :wink:

Bixxer Bob

Did he tell you what they'd done wrong?  Or did he just get lucky putting it back together?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

mikeybikey57

They didn't tell me what they'd done to get it running right in the end. I guess they acted on the feedback they got from Triumph, after sending them the diagnostic readouts and set it up properly. Should have heard alarm bells when the technician said "we don't have many Tiger 955i's in here at all".

I'll have a chat with the service dept manager later today' as i've got to get the service book stamped........... and maybe he'll spill the beans.
There\'s no point in worrying about life, because you\'ll never get out of it alive.

Chris Canning

Service book stamped,do people really do that in todays day and age  :?

mikeybikey57

Apparently so! Having the service book stamped may help a bit when I sell it on, which may be sooner than I had originally anticipated.

Took my tigger out for a decent run this morning and went to see my old mucker Roy Osbourne at OS Pipes, near Stafford. I know it was a very warm day but my old bus didn't half run rough, especially at lower speeds and part throttle openings.

Went the long way home to put some decent miles in but it didn't really improve that much and any town/stuck behind tractors riding was a real ball ache. F*%*ing Ar@^hole Bas£+**s!!!

I know I should take it back to the dealer an tell them to sort it out, AGAIN but to be honest the pricks there are so hopeless, I doubt they have the ability get it running any better that it is now. (Forgot to mention that when I did get it home, after the last time it was with them, the fuckwit technician only went and reconnected both of my optimate leads to the +ve terminal on the battery!!!!!)

I'm now so disillusioned with the bike, the dealers and the whole EFI complexity shit, that I may just sell her and buy something with carbs. At least I can fix them when they go wrong.

Failing that, anybody know of anyone nearby (50 mile radius) with laptop/software and the experience to look at the old girl and help me to put her back to her former sweet self ?

metalguru

If you have acess to a laptop and a lead take some screen shots of what you see when it's running and we can help hopefully.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Bixxer Bob

A bit more than 50 miles(I'm near Swaffham in Norfolk) but I can look at it for you if need be, just drop me a pm.

Chris Canning

Quote from: "mikeybikey57"Apparently so! Having the service book stamped may help a bit when I sell it on, which may be sooner than I had originally anticipated.

Took my tigger out for a decent run this morning and went to see my old mucker Roy Osbourne at OS Pipes, near Stafford. I know it was a very warm day but my old bus didn't half run rough, especially at lower speeds and part throttle openings.

Went the long way home to put some decent miles in but it didn't really improve that much and any town/stuck behind tractors riding was a real ball ache. F*%*ing Ar@^hole Bas£+**s!!!

I know I should take it back to the dealer an tell them to sort it out, AGAIN but to be honest the pricks there are so hopeless, I doubt they have the ability get it running any better that it is now. (Forgot to mention that when I did get it home, after the last time it was with them, the fuckwit technician only went and reconnected both of my optimate leads to the +ve terminal on the battery!!!!!)

I'm now so disillusioned with the bike, the dealers and the whole EFI complexity shit, that I may just sell her and buy something with carbs. At least I can fix them when they go wrong.

Failing that, anybody know of anyone nearby (50 mile radius) with laptop/software and the experience to look at the old girl and help me to put her back to her former sweet self ?

As a minor detail,I've shown people the receipts, any how!!.

Efi is a fact of life I'm afraid,your going to have to learn to live with it.

Easy for me to say,but you went for your nearest dealer,for some years I've been doing an 80 miles round trip to get mine looked at, with a dealer 15 minutes away untill I was happy they were up to speed,I have my K1200 serviced in London!!!,my local BM dealer is 20 miles away.
You've two options either go and see Bob(John) spend a few bob :oops:  in fuel I'm sure he'll sort you out,OR find a better dealer,yea you'll be thinking of the money you've wasted!! just put it down to a learning curve and move on and if you go that route go and talk to Pure Triumph in B'Ham and tell e'm your story before they lay a finger on it.

Before you have done any of that take a cold shower and calm down,we've all been there at some time and it'll do you no good getting up tight.

The real bad news my tiger ran like a train going to Mugello,ticks over like a good u'n even in silly heat BUT,it never ran the same way twice,we'd stop for fuel or a bite to eat,and would run totally different after,if your looking for an exact science you'll need a later model maybe!!! :roll:

When I say going to a dealer,thats shims and mapping and nothing else,those that have been to the house realise I'm a cross between Del Boy and Rodney for anything else :D .

Stick with it you'll get it sorted.

Chris Canning

Quote from: "mikeybikey57"Apparently so! Having the service book stamped may help a bit when I sell it on, which may be sooner than I had originally anticipated.

Easy for me to say,but you went for your nearest dealer,for some years I've been doing an 80 miles round trip to get mine looked at, with a dealer 15 minutes away untill I was happy they were up to speed,I have my K1200 serviced in London!!!,my local BM dealer is 20 miles away.
You've two options either go and see Bob(John) spend a few bob :oops:  in fuel I'm sure he'll sort you out,OR find a better dealer,yea you'll be thinking of the money you've wasted!! just put it down to a learning curve and move on and if you go that route go and talk to Pure Triumph in B'Ham and tell e'm your story before they lay a finger on it.

Before you have done any of that take a cold shower and calm down,we've all been there at some time and it'll do you no good getting up tight.

The real bad news my tiger ran like a train going to Mugello,ticks over like a good u'n even in silly heat BUT,it never ran the same way twice,we'd stop for fuel or a bite to eat,and would run totally different after,if your looking for an exact science you'll need a later model maybe!!! :roll:

When I say going to a dealer,thats shims and mapping and nothing else,those that have been to the house realise I'm a cross between Del Boy and Rodney for anything else :D .

Chris Canning

Bixxer Bob

Feck Chris, that's some echo........