News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

First look

Started by Beernard, June 08, 2012, 11:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beernard

G'day, all. My newly-acquired steamer has turned up. Not a runner and bought cheap. First look sees evidence of a drop on the right-hand side: gravel-rash and missing switch-block. Look a little deeper and the fuel tank is full of water, master cyclinders are empty, lots of rusted bolts, rusty fork tops, dodgy ignition switch (or key), rooted discs all round, spinning thread insert in tank (fairing mount), most fairing screws missing.   Otherwise, all there and not too bad. Put a battery in and electrics work - didn't try starter yet as carbs need to come off, plugs looked at, etc. My guess is she was crashed and then parked outside and forgotten for a couple of years. Anyway, after I finish the current mission in the shed, I'll have a crack at getting her happening. Regards, Beernard. :(
Ripper, woke up again.

Mustang

if the tanks full o water you will be needing to unclog the cap drain before you do anything . its the nipple at the right rear tank bottom , unscrew it and stick a wire up it , gunk should come out and probably a little water too

then drain the tank completely and add fresh fuel .

next will be to clean the carbs ..........the sticky thread in the steamer section will get you goin in the right direction.

how many miles on the ol girl .............I see it has t66 michelins on it
those were the oem tires for steamers but have been out of production for quite a few years now. :shock:

Beernard

Thanks for the info, Mustang, much appreciated. The odo says 5,000 km. I reckon 105,000. Interesting comment about the tyres, maybe she's been sitting for a really extended time (tyres are so new-looking, even though as hard as hell, I reckon the bloke dropped her on the way home from having them fitted). I was glad to see the fuel tap in the off position, so if I'm real lucky, the water hasn't gone to the carbs. Should have room in the shed soon, and then I'll find out. Regards, Beernard.
Ripper, woke up again.

Sin_Tiger

Km's  :shock:  I didn't know they did them with metric ODO's.

The front casing surfaces condition should be a good indication of which it is. Either way this could end up being a labour of love but it'll be worth it in the end.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

too clean in the photos for 105,000 km

I'd say more like 5000 km and the owner dropped and and got scared off and it sat neglected all these years

those are probably the original tires

MIMbox

Looks like OEM discs as well.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Mustang"too clean in the photos for 105,000 km

I'd say more like 5000 km and the owner dropped and and got scared off and it sat neglected all these years

those are probably the original tires

Just said what I was thinking.... :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Beernard

Thanks for the interest and detective work everyone. However, the photo is flattering and the heavily-worn (rooted) discs all round point to a history of 105,000km. Also, the tyres still have the "nipples", indicating only a run home from the shop. Of course, these would be gone after 5,000km. Anyway, I feel honoured to be receiving the informed comments from such a knowledgable bunch.
Thanks and regards, Beernard. BTW the r65 is a goer and out of the shed. Time for steamer. Woohoo.
Ripper, woke up again.

chip

G,day mate        Hopin. you get that  little baby  together soon.  I really need a helper in the mud when .,da german machine goes unter next,... chip
[old mates]

Beernard

No worries, mate. I'll make sure I fit a winch. See you near the spanners.  :lol:
Ripper, woke up again.