News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Pine oil as a cleaner vs Truckwash.

Started by metalguru, June 19, 2012, 08:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalguru

Read a thread on another site about the virtues of Pine oil as a degreaser, the stateside guys among us will know it as Pinesol and as you already know it has very good cleaning properties.

Unable to get hold of this in the UK and airlines not wishing to bring it here (can't think why) some research has been done and found in Sainsburys was this, It has a high content of Pine Oil.

The next thing to do was to set up an experiment with truck wash as a comparison, this is the stuff I use all the time albeit in a dilute form as it will take skin off!

I have an old Z650 in for some work, it has been standing for about 8 years and the carbs will need a clean. I removed the float bowls and their contents and put them in a sealable container and filled one up with Pine Disinfectant (the green one) and the other with Traffic Film Remover (TFR), and set to one side to see what happens, the TFR was used neat.

As you can very clearly see the TFR equiped container was rather eerrrmm airated, the lid did actually pop off with all the fizzing going on.

The end result was the Pine Disinfectant cleaned the aluminium very gently and removed all traces of stale fuel leaving parts clean. It didn't clean the brass too well but given a quick rub it soon came clean.

The TFR aggresively cleaned the aluminium to a point where it discoloured although if a dilute mix was used it would be less aggressive. It also cleaned the brass very well.

The parts were left to soak for about 2 days in the Disinfectant and about an hour in the TFR.

Here is a comparison as only one carb was submerged in TFR to demonstrate how reactive the TFR is to aluminium.This was after 30 mins.

Perhaps the next idea would be a sonic bath filled with Pine Disinfectant.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Geoff W

I see the Swarfega TFR contains Sodium Hydroxide. If you leave your carbs in that it will dissolve them totally. Aluminium is soluble in both acids and alkalis, (it is amphoteric, good one for the pub quiz ). Also good at dissolving fat, skin, eyeballs and lots of other stuff.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

metalguru

Quote from: "Geoff W"I see the Swarfega TFR contains Sodium Hydroxide. If you leave your carbs in that it will dissolve them totally. Aluminium is soluble in both acids and alkalis, (it is amphoteric, good one for the pub quiz ). Also good at dissolving fat, skin, eyeballs and lots of other stuff.

:iagree

I thought that 30 mins was pushing my luck!
Use this in a steam cleaner at about 50:1 ratio and tends to clean rather too well sometimes.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.