News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

RTW Tiger

Started by MARKC, December 14, 2006, 12:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MARKC

The Tiger is often compared to the BMW GS. It seems to be accepted that the Tiger is much more accomplished on the road but does not have the GS's off road ability.

But have a look at Richard Lindleys travel reports on Horizons Unlimited. Two up in Russia with all the luggage and gear. Absolutely fantastic.

iansoady

Great link, Mark. I look forward to seeing more of Richard's travels.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Mudhen

Quote from: "MARKC"It seems to be accepted that the Tiger is much more accomplished on the road but does not have the GS's off road ability.

By ignorant people with no clue!

I would just change it to 'but does not have the GS's protection for off road use'.

The above only applies to pre '07s, of course.
\'96 Steamer

greg

We'll see. My trip Lisbon - Timbuktu is coming up, leaving 6 Jan. Will be a few GS's going too. Eat my dust.
2004 Girly.

Having riden both a GS and my Tiger off road the only difference is that the GS doesn't fall over so far because those cylinders stick out and hold it off the ground and thus make the GS easier to pick back up.

Also, the exhaust headers are far more vulnarable on the Girly Tigers.

So far, I haven't dropped my Tiger whilst off road (thank god). But, I have dropped it ON road and it's EFFIN' heavy when it's laying on its side.

MARKC

Fell over on mine after mounting up and losing my balance.Leg was trapped for a few minutes until I managed to push it off. Even after unloading I needed help to get it upright.

Richard Lindley demonstrates a technique for lifting the Tiger when solo in Horizons Unlimited.

Foxy

I've only had to pick up a GS once, and I was surprised at what a pig it was - certainly heavier than my Tiger and once it was up the pots made wheeling it about at a standstill awkward. And that was with BMW's patented "make it lighter to pick up after a spill by cracking the head and rocker cover to unload some of the oil" gizmo  :D

Mudhen

Have to agree with the GS being easier to pick up.  I only had to pick it up 30 or so times, but the jugs and crashbars made it easier than my Steamer.  Steamer just lays so flat....never believed it when the 950 Adv guys said they had trouble picking them up compared to GSs - now I know!
\'96 Steamer

Great Escape Tours

This is all interesting to read...

I'm just over two years out from my RTW trip, although I am taking my KLR 650...lighter than my Tiger, but more than that, my Tiger is just too pretty to mangle!  :lol:   Seems like 650's were made for that. I have NO DOUBT the Tiger would make it, and make it with flying colors, though...

Dug Shelby
Great Escape Motorcycle Tours

www.great-escape-tours.com

Idhosam

Quote from: "Great Escape Tours"This is all interesting to read...

I'm just over two years out from my RTW trip, although I am taking my KLR 650...lighter than my Tiger, but more than that, my Tiger is just too pretty to mangle!  :lol:   Seems like 650's were made for that. I have NO DOUBT the Tiger would make it, and make it with flying colors, though...

Dug Shelby

Here, Here...sound philosophy

Great Escape Tours

Thanks for the encouragement on my choice!  =)  

Dug :D
Great Escape Motorcycle Tours

www.great-escape-tours.com

Eric

I have the engine guards from Ma's Cycles. Because of them I am able ot right a dropped 06 Tiger with more embarasment than effort.  Highly recommended.
Eric Walburgh

06 Tiger

greg

Quote from: "Great Escape Tours"This is all interesting to read...

Dug Shelby

The Tiger will definitely do RTW, there isn't any doubt, and I would hazard to say, from recent experience, with far greater reliability than a GS, especially the 1200. If you have hard luggage fitted, like Tourashit, then they aren't too bad to pick up either. I use the Triumph panniers with 'homemade' rear crash bars to protect them, which they have, and they make picking up if not a doddle then way easier than it might have been. Off road as good as BMW, not as good as KTM, though I think a narrower front wheel would make a difference.
2004 Girly.