News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New guy looking for some advise

Started by survivaleveryday, June 06, 2012, 07:53:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

survivaleveryday

Hello TT forum...
Hope you guys (and girls) don't mind if I ask some questions about your experiences with the Tiger ( the new 800).
I have been riding for 24 years, on manly sport bikes with a few standards thrown in.
Its time I think for a Adventure bike! I would like to take some longer rides than I have been able to do with the sport bikes and the riding position. I would even like to take the bike of road, nothing crazy. So I have been looking for an Adventure bike, I started off looking at the F800, I had a KTM, but not really interested in their adventure bike(to big).. The GS1200 and new Triumph 1200 explorer just seems to big. (I'm 509 185lbs)
So I have boiled it down to two bikes the Triger 800 and XC.
XC seems just a little to tall for me even with the seat all the way down, the 800 fits perfectly. I guess i would mainly do hgwy driving with 10 to 15 % of road.(optimistically)
So with this in mind the 800 looks like the fit(excuse the pun), but I'm concerned that if I don't get the XC I might regret it. (never no when you want to to the Dakar) . The XC is 1000.00 more and I'm already at my limit with the 800. ( want to leave some extra cash for side bags and Arrow exhaust; and some all weather riding gear :) )
SO how many of you on the forum have the 800 and which do you have? and why did you chose the model? The guys with the 1050 have you taken it off road( gravel dirt roads)
Triumph Tiger 800 roadie 2012
KTM Superduke 2008
Ducati 900ss 2000
Kawasaki Ninja 600 2001
Yamaha FZR 600 1991
Kawasaki Ninja 600 1987
Honda VTR 250 1990

PompeyLad

Take them both on a test ride. If the 800 still fits like a glove, then thats the one! If you are planning on being in the saddle for any time it is the comfort and fit that is tops. Don't spend an extra grand just because....

And , welcome to the wonderful world of sitting IN a bike instead of ON one. :D

tcbezza

Definitely take them both for a long test ride. Deciding which bike you is never a pure logic choice so it does come down to which one you feel more comfortable on and enjoy riding. They are both good bikes, the XC has more off road capability but will you ever use it ?

Ultimately you will always get to a point where you think about something else but if it feels right then generally it is !
Trevor

800 Tiger Road
79 Guzzi V50
72 BSA A65
56 BSA B33

NZDeano

You say it has come down to the 800 or 800XC. Have you riden a 955i and if not, why have you not considered this, and if you have what didnt you like? I was in a similar position to you, and after all the research, it came down to what you can get for your dollar. If you are not intending anything too radical off road, the 955i "Girly" might be a good fit. For me it was the fact that I got an awesomely good bike for the price. It left me with enough money to kit it out, and myself, and go for a bloody good long tour. My 955i only had 11,000km on it, like brand new, just run in. Its a lot of bike for what I paid. The 800 was double the price +  Just a thought.
Tiger 955 (in black)
Triumph Scrambler
Moto Guzzi EV
BSA M20
Yamaha XT 400

metalguru

If the 800 is near the top of the financial limit then it would be a good choice to test ride the 955 and 1050. These both give good weather protection and good for how ever long you want to stay in the saddle for. The 955 is really under-rated and will do all you want a bike to do and will leave enough in the bank for some farkles, good clotheing and a long ride. (on my third tiger now, with no regrets).
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

survivaleveryday

Thanks for the input guys. After really looking at all three Tigers (1050 800 800xc) and even the Yamaha Tenere, I bought a black tiger 800 roadie. I also got the hand guards, heated grips, and the little tank pad thingy :) So my question(s) are :)
1. The side luggage, I have read about the quality of the Triumph's brand and weird floating thing?
2. The side crash bar, Triumph or the SM moto brand?
3. I really like the look of the sump protector, but again the Triumph or SM-moto
4. Any one go with the Triumph side lights, little pricey but I really like the metal shroud around them, and the are not LED.
( Who's bike is in the top banner on the site? I really like the side luggage!)
Oh almost forgot, the Arrow exhaust; seems it is the right exhaust with a map already done.
I live in MD anyone live close?
Triumph Tiger 800 roadie 2012
KTM Superduke 2008
Ducati 900ss 2000
Kawasaki Ninja 600 2001
Yamaha FZR 600 1991
Kawasaki Ninja 600 1987
Honda VTR 250 1990

blacktiger

Quote from: "survivaleveryday"Thanks for the input guys. After really looking at all three Tigers (1050 800 800xc) and even the Yamaha Tenere, I bought a black tiger 800 roadie. I also got the hand guards, heated grips, and the little tank pad thingy :) So my question(s) are :)
1. The side luggage, I have read about the quality of the Triumph's brand and weird floating thing?
2. The side crash bar, Triumph or the SM moto brand?
3. I really like the look of the sump protector, but again the Triumph or SM-moto
4. Any one go with the Triumph side lights, little pricey but I really like the metal shroud around them, and the are not LED.
( Who's bike is in the top banner on the site? I really like the side luggage!)
Oh almost forgot, the Arrow exhaust; seems it is the right exhaust with a map already done.
I live in MD anyone live close?

1, I'd recommend something like Givi or another make that you can then transfer to another bike when you eventually sell the Tiger. Look at it like luggage for life. Bespoke luggage like the Triumph stuff is a one bike deal.
2, Whilst the OE accessory crash bars don't protect the upper part of the bike if it rolls right over, they are very sturdy being mounted in 3 places each side.
3, I went for the SW-motech because it protects the oil filter from head-on stones. There is enough room to remove the filter without having to undo the bash plate.
4, Don't need the extra lights to see because the headlamps are some of the best ever on any bike. Being seen is another matter and up to you.

Doesn't the bike in the banner change from time to time? However, if it's a black XC with rolling hills in the background, clip on screen extension and E21 pannier, it's mine.
Enjoy your new ride.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Sin_Tiger

2. Wouldn't recommend the SWM crash bars after seeing casings mashed up pretty bad after a local guy went down with them.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint