News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger 885 Carb Igniter problem

Started by bish, July 03, 2012, 05:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bish

Hi Guys,
First posting on here as bike has been running fine for ages but now hit a problem. Over a period of a couple of weeks engine started to cut out after about 10 minutes of use, it would be intermittent and normally would fire up again within a short time, i.e maybe 3 cutouts in a 30 mile trip. However in the last week the engine is now cutting out all the time and the bike cannot be ridden. Have sent it to the bike doctor and I suggested to him it may be the coils as they are the original Gills(this bike has got 56000 miles on clock now.) It turned out 2 of the 3 coils were faulty and have been replaced. On testing the bike, within 10 minutes it is still cutting out. The plugs and leads have all been checked and that just leaves the Igniter unit.
 Has anyone got any experience of these units becoming faulty and if so can they be fixed or do I have to get the credit card out as a replacement is expensive. Any advice appreciated !!

Mustang

It sounds more like the ignition pick up sensor to me .
They are known for going bad with the exact symtoms you describe .

Easy enough to replace and far cheaper than an igniter .
It's under the right hand crankshaft cover , costs about 80 dollars US.

The igniters are pretty robust and don't generally go bad .

MIMbox

DO THIS 1ST...  Replace the pick up sensor , £45 on ebay for an OEM replacement.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-900-T ... 43b1336822

I can see only one ECU on ebay, and thats not a tigger one, although most will work.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-900-D ... 2ebfc0c563

If that fails to work, look into these.
http://www.ignitech.cz/english/aindex.htm

Some folk have used them with success.

Might be worth taking a peak inside, If you that way inclined
http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ght=#44345

Good luck, MIMbox

bish

Thanks for the input.

Ignition pick up Sensor has been checked and is ok. I will forward on the info regarding the Transistors , although they seem to think having tested the internal workings of the igniter box, that it may be the management chip. If so it will probably have to be a replacement Ignitor. Wow  aren't I lucky !

MIMbox

Be Wary of accepting the sensor is OK. Like the coils, they fail when they are hot and under load.

Static testing is not good enough.

For £45 , change the sensor first, you may be pleasantly suprised

GavD

Bish,

I had the exact same thing as you after the bike had been laid up for a while, ran for 10 mins then died, wait for 20mins to cool down and she'd start again only to cut out once back up to temp.

I'd been thinking it was either the pick up or the CDI and was just going to try the pick up as the cheap test when I discovered TigerTriple and found lots of stories of pick up failure and not many of CDI failure. Most of the stories had the same symptoms as me.

Changed pick up and all was tiddley boo.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Mustang

Quote from: "bish"Thanks for the input.
Ignition pick up Sensor has been checked and is ok
. I will forward on the info regarding the Transistors , although they seem to think having tested the internal workings of the igniter box, that it may be the management chip. If so it will probably have to be a replacement Ignitor. Wow  aren't I lucky !

yep they will test fine at .6 ohm even when they are junk , thats why they will work when cold , THEY THINK ??? WTF man they obviously don't have a clue ,I don't buy the "management chip" story.
find another dealer/mechanic

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "bish"Thanks for the input.

Ignition pick up Sensor has been checked and is ok. I will forward on the info regarding the Transistors , although they seem to think having tested the internal workings of the igniter box, that it may be the management chip. If so it will probably have to be a replacement Ignitor. Wow  aren't I lucky !

Another Stealer talking bollocks.  The dealer has no way to test the ECU (or igniter).  The Dealer's gameboy is less capable than Tune ECU so he's making a guess - an informed one at best.

My money is aso on the sensor.  If you have access to an ocilloscope you can prove it.  Mine was playing up and this showed up two ways.  As a jitter on the 'scope and as a jitter on the Tuneboy maps in live mode.  I changed the sensor and both jitters went away.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

bish

Mechanic has already  changed the ignition pick up sensor as he thought it would be worth a shout but no joy. The only thing left to try is checking out a common live that connects with the clutch, stand switch etc, as he has found that previously this has been spliced into to provide a positive for the heated grips. If he can't find fault there then the only thing left is the  microchip itself as he and a colleague who is an electronics whiz have already had the igniter box apart and tested all the bits !
Crap !

metalguru

Has the sidestand switch and clutch switch been tested for resistance across the contacts? Or looking at the mileage, the kill button contacts.

Just a thought.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "bish"Mechanic has already  changed the ignition pick up sensor as he thought it would be worth a shout but no joy. The only thing left to try is checking out a common live that connects with the clutch, stand switch etc, as he has found that previously this has been spliced into to provide a positive for the heated grips. If he can't find fault there then the only thing left is the  microchip itself as he and a colleague who is an electronics whiz have already had the igniter box apart and tested all the bits !
Crap !

So it's not cast in resin for weather protection?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

not on a steamer Bob
remove screws from plastic case and there it sits the brain of the outfit ,
steamer ones are pretty simple......

MIMbox

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Mustang"not on a steamer Bob
remove screws from plastic case and there it sits the brain of the outfit ,
steamer ones are pretty simple......

I guess  serviceability won over protection. Except if you protect it from weather and vibration you don't need to service it.   Usually.   :)