News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Center Stand Fail

Started by audiododd, September 05, 2012, 07:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

audiododd

I know the center stand issue has been beaten to death around here, but I have a more technical question than "should I buy an SW-MOTECH stand?"  I have an OEM center stand on my Girly.  Today, I was going to clean/lube the chain and realized I couldn't spin the rear tire.  A quick look showed that the stand was leaning WAY too far back (which would explain the PITA of getting the bike off the stand).  I noticed that some of the attaching bolts are now bent.  It was getting dark, otherwise I'd post some pix.  I may do that tomorrow.  I, obviously, won't know if the mounting holes are boogered-up until I actually pull the existing stand off, but assuming the mounting holes are ok....

Is it worth repairing the OEM stand??  I can get the 2 mounting brackets and the 4 bolts for about 70USD.  If I have to buy the whole thing, it's definitely not worth it, since the OEM stand costs almost the same as the SW-MOTECH stand.  If I just repair it, will it last?  I've heard horror stories about the stands failing in a year or two.  I guess I should feel lucky that mine lasted about 10.

Thanks!
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can\'t always be sure of their authenticity." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Mustang

there is a thread somewhere about repairing the chocolate cheese stock centerstand , but I aint quite got this new search figured out yet

basically though the stop bolts bend is the problem.............IIRC

audiododd

Yep. In the light of day, that looks like what's going on. Maybe they vibrated loose and it made them bend easier. I think I'll pull the whole center stand off and see how bad the damage is. Then I'll decide whether to repair or replace.

BTW, Mustang, I'm loving the foot pegs.  I have a MadStad on order so I'll be able to put the seat back up high and get my legs stretched out without my head getting whipped around like a bobble head.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can\'t always be sure of their authenticity." ~ Abraham Lincoln